/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10, A7S and Atomos Shogun

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by JASPER GLAVANICS, Aug 11, 2015.

1. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hey all.

Just wondering if anyone has mounted an Atomos shogun to their M10 with a SONY A7S for use whilst AIRBORNE?

Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to mount the Shogun onto the main part of the gimbal.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

2. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

I once thought about doing that but gave up...I use the GH4 which records 4K internally. Other solution would be getting an A7RII.

3. JASPER GLAVANICS

I know of a few here in Australia that have done it, as you get uncompressed Pro Res 422 HQ from the camera, rather than immensely compressed with the A7RII. Ive also hear that the A7RII' low light capabilities are not as good as the A7S... not sure if this is true or not, but regardless, id still like to find a solution to get it airborne.

4. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Not saying is not possible just saying not interesting IMHO. I would get a BMPC then and shoot with it. A7s is great in low light but I never needed in aerial fotage to shoot in the dark that much. A7s 4k is 8bit anyhow so I don´t think I would think about trying that one. But if you think it´s a good idea by all means keep trying I am sure you´ll succeed. Good luck.
    P.S. - I don´t think XAVC is such a bad codec...but it´s only my opinion.

5. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hey August, thanks for your input.
    The BMPC doesn't shoot uncompressed pro res 4K does it?
    Ill figure out a way to attach the shogun and post some results when I do.

If there is anyone else out there that has attached a shogun to a M10 for flight with an A7s, please comment and post pics of setup. Would be rather interested.

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I did mount Shogun to M10 and flew it with A7s. I place the Shogun to here:

http://kopterworx.com/movi-m5-10-front-battery-holder.html

It works, just make sure that you power the Shogun from a different lipo. As for the image quality you get, it's for sure better than the internal 4K of GH4.

IMO, this combination is not feasible for day time usage but in case you need low light shot, it will come out with brilliant results.

7. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi Ozkan, Thanks for your suggestion.
    Do you have any pictures of your Shogun mounted to the M10 with this plate?

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Jasper I don't have it but it's pretty straighforward. The screen of Shogun will face up.

9. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hi Ozkran, Im going to try and rig up something similar with some carbon fibre. Im still unsure as to where you would mount the plate on the actual movi.... on the arms, under where the camera sits, on the back boom..etc etc.....
    Sorry for my ignorance, I just can't picture it...

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Hope that gives an idea. Ofcourse you need to tie the shogun with battery straps to the plate.

Attached Files:

11. JASPER GLAVANICS

Yeh thats a great help! Thanks for that.
    And the clearance with the top part drone is ok ?

12. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Yes, no issues.

13. JASPER GLAVANICS

Great. Thanks again. will see how my setup goes.

On another note, that i might start another thread on, how do you power your RED, TX downlink and other accessories whilst in the air?
    Im running a red v-lock side plate with a low profile v lock battery, and then power my red and tomahawk off that. But i don't seem to see the same setup anywhere. Hence bringing me to wonder what others have.

14. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I use a second 4s lipo to power Red and it's accesories like follow focus or wedge. It can be another M10 battery or a lipo around 2200-2500 mAh.

And I power the downlink from Movi lipo.

I would prefer your setup, but the investment needed for that is a bit high :)

JASPER GLAVANICS likes this.
  15. JASPER GLAVANICS

So update is I've mounted the shogun on the carbon plate from kopterworx and I'm getting vibrations in my footage, so been chatting with freefly and they thought the positioning of the shogun could be catching some downwash from the props and causing vibrations.
    Can anyone else suggest a solution or have mounted their Shogun somewhere whilst airborne?