/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shipping Lipo's

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Jonathan Ross, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi all,

We are taking our UAV on the road traveling from Washington state to Florida. Question: How do you guys ship your Lipos? we have 10 10,000mAh batts to ship. Can we ship them by air or do they have to go rail? We are kinda against the wall on time so any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also we have several V mounts and small Lipos for our Movi can those go with us on the plane? So much to learn.

Cheers,
    J

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Take them in your carry-on. Just make sure they're at storage level and that they're well-packed.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  3. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

We can carry on all those batts? I was told No Way. Thank you Steve are you absolutely sure hate to get to the airport and be told no. We were thinking of shipping them ahead. The airlines say no more than one battery or at least people are telling me that.

Thanks sir

4. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

5. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thank you Gustavo,

This means we cannot carry our 10,000 mAh on board as they are above the 160 watt hours each. How the heck are people getting their gear to their locations. Thanks to anyone that can help us get our Lipo's shipped.

J

6. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Does anyone know when making your assessment of your Lipo's power for shipping purposes. Our Lipo's are just below 4 volts for per cell for storage. If they are asking on shipping " what your voltage is " do you add all 6 cells x 4 volts or do you consider 4 volts as the shipping voltage? Does that make sense?

Thank you everyone,
    J

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thank you Andy,

I appreciate your fast response. Please excuse me for the direct message I will make sure to always post to the forum in the future. Once again thank you for the links I will [post my experience with the group.

Cheers,
    J

9. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I would really be surprised if it wasn't the number of cells x voltage per cell.

Andy.

11. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I have traveled with several large capacity lipos internationally and I have found good results if you make sure everything is stored in a clearly identifiable LIPO SAFE bag, cover the terminals with tape, and if possible remove or swap labels to indicate a lower watt hour battery. The latter may be a controversial method, but as long as you carry on the batteries and make sure your equipment is safe, you should be fine. Also, if you can disperse batts among your traveling crew that always helps. I've heard that 2 spare batteries is the max you can take on a carry on if the airline really wants to give you a hard time. Just be polite, and confident that you are allowed to have the batteries and you should be fine.

12. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

In Aus and Japan when travelling you can carry 2 batteries per person. Like Alex said tape the ends up and be polite to the security and immigration people. Also allow an extra 30mins for check-in to allow for inspection and talking your way through. :)

13. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Also I just remembered that having photos of your equipment in action/with batteries always helps if there is a language barrier. When I left Colombia the police officers definitely thought it might have been something else until I showed them the pictures! :rolleyes:

14. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Here's my experience. I was flying to Canada from Norway and wanted to bring along several 6A 5s lipos.
    I read you can only fly with 2 so I took 2 myself, gave 2 to my wife and mailed the other 4. I put the batteries in my carry on.
    On the way there, everything arrived fine.

Half way back to Norway we had to go through the hand luggage scanners and the guy said nope- you can't have lipos in your hand luggage, they have to go underneath. I argued a little that no - the regulations state they have to go in my carry-on and he simply said, not for this airline.... So - 4 lipos were taken away. :(

if you fly with your lipos, and believe you are 'in the right' make sure you have all the documentation with you from the airline saying you CAN take it with you. Sometimes there is also small text somewhere saying you need permission to take the batteries.. in which case you might need to write an email and get written permission if you want to be triple sure you aren't going to get them taken away. o_O

15. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Thank you Tyler,

We have decided to ship them by air. So everyone is aware, you can ship your Lipo's domestically by air through UPS. You have to fill out the hazardous form and add the hazards stickers ( supplied by UPS ). We had to break them up only 2 10,000 6 cells can be in the same package. I am off to the UPS store right now to ship all 5 boxes. I will repost what my cost was when I return. Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have researched this extensively if you have any questions send me a PM.

Cheers,
    J

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Better yet, post your question on the forum so we all know the question and the answer! :)

Andy.

17. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Will do Andy.

18. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Thanks so much for all the info,

19. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member