/dist/images/branding/favicon

Operating techniques: high mode upside down:)

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Balázs Révész, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Dear all!
    I haven't seen anywhere before my special upside down high mode assembly. Check my profile picture. if anybody has experience with it please share. I found it quite handy in majestic mode because it is more natural hight, close to steadicam high mode but still can go even higher and lower then that.
    Peace
    Balashevsky

2. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

that's me and the UDHM in HD:)
    my director friend Balázs Juszt said: "a whole new level of selfie"
    if you want to try it just mount your camera looking backwards: the lens looking at the roll beam
    then tilt the camera back to the front so it is upside down
    rebalance the rig, turn it on, take the it off the stand and carefully tilt it back so the camera is in normal position again and the Movi is upside down.
    The camera should be in majestic mode and Majestic Config Tilt Mode has to be set to Majestic Angle
    Enjoy this mode which somehow has more that part of my body feeling that you can have enjoying a steadicam and it is completely star wars:) Enjoy
    Movi.jpg

YUChenkang likes this.
  3. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

verdict:
    - we gained around 1.5 feet - 45 cm of camera height
    - we can support our elbows to our body holding the camera around eye level with less fatigue - could be handy in any kind of drama
    - you can use your DSLR with better view on the built-in LCD
    - completely Star Wars - just look up or down with it:)

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Balázs that looks great. If i remember the training class material correctly you can also mount a camera in a hanging fashion with the crossbar on the top of the camera like a RED.

5. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Hey Gary:)
    I agree. Looks great, works great. this way it looks like a camera instead of a handheld chopper mount:)
    is this training class material available somewhere?
    B

6. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

As I understand it, you could mount this (with the ninja plate, which I guess I should order) on a steadicam sled. With remote 2 person operation, the steadicam op could just focus on route and movement, while the remote op framed. Not sure if there's any point to doing it that way, but it'd be fun to try.

7. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

Great idea Paul! Somebody try it! But maybe even better to try in Majestic mode with just a little smoothing and a small window. Could make a perfect steadicam operator with no wobbling in the highest winds and level in the sharpest curves and whippets pans.

8. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

wow cool , can u make a video tutorial of this?

9. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

one question , when we mount it like that . How does one put it on the stand, when one needs to rest?

10. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

love it.

Pretty nifty if you ask me. Now that I have the rod mount bracket for the rig, ive been mounting an epic in the hanging fashion that Gary has mentioned.
    IMO for heavier rigs this is the superior way to balance the camera, it just seems to oscillate less and I can now do full rolls with the rig. (also helps in the vertical CG balancing procedure.)

I havent specifically done what Balazs has done but I imagine that it would be pretty easier to do with a larger camera. Perhaps a hanging fashion with this configuration is the next test?

When I get back from the holiday Ill post some photos and videos of new rig configs.

11. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

I can just repeat myself, trying to be more clear:)
    1. Balancing position: Movi in traditional way, handles turned up like how you can see it in the MoVI RED Epic IR Test video behind the scenes.
    The rig is resting on the stand handles up, just the camera is upside down (mount it looking backwards, at the roll beam, then tilt it around so the camera is upside down)
    2. Switch on. Majestic mode (Majestic Config Tilt Mode has to be set to Majestic Angle)
    3. Pick up the Movi take it off the stand and carefully tilt it up 180 degrees when you will find yourself in the situation that I'm in on the picture.
    4. Rock and Roll
    It is a bit different deal, you need to balance the Movi in your hands a bit. In normal mode gravity helps and basically you are just hanging the camera in your hands so this upside down high mode needs a bit more attention not to accidentally drop the thing - don't worry you won't
    5. to rest it carefully tilt it back down 180 degrees and hang it on the stand.
    Sorry I couldn't make a video right now. I hope now you understand. Please try it and tell me your impressions

12. Balázs Révész

Balázs Révész New Member

13. Michael Elsegood

Thanks for the info

I tried this today (Mounted MoVi on Sachtler Head on Hi-Hat in back of vehicle with tail gate open shooting car-to-car)

I was surprised that I didn't have to invert the direction of any controls, and even more surprised that going from Remote Mode to Majestic mode did not try and flip the camera upside down...It's like the MōVI knew exactly what I wanted to do...

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Michael your MōVI sent us an email. it read "Don't know what is going on with Michael but I think I can figure it out. Will let you know if I flip out and you can contact him." Sounds like the intense training during the build process in Seattle worked... :rolleyes:

Justin Marx likes this.
  15. vincexs

vincexs New Member

Balázs that looks great. If i remember the training class material correctly you can also mount a camera in a hanging fashion with the crossbar on the top of the camera like a RED.

[Link Deleted. AJL]

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

17. YU Chenkang

YU Chenkang New Member

thanks for sharing the greatful expirence.

we have meet the low position problem for a long time...but not looks sloved.

btw, if we using ''smoothing lock'', could the m10 upside down ?

and the new looks (upside down) may give pressure to motors?

18. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi,

i found a good solution to rest the MōVI on a c-stand when using it upside-down. I made an adapter of a leftover piece of carbon rod and changed some of the plastic clamps of the upper hand-grip to self-made aluminum ones.

Now i can setup, rest, balance and power up in the upside-down mode, which is working really great for shooting longer scenes...

This can even be used on a steadi-arm without any further mods.
    Changing from normal use to this mode takes just about 10 minutes… just flipping the cam, handgrips and monitor and re-balancing.

The motor charts shows between 1 and 3 %, so no extra stress on motors when in rest...

Cheers,

Wolf

2014-01-31 15.11.12 Kopie.jpg

YU Chenkang likes this.
  19. YU Chenkang

YU Chenkang New Member

nice, i am wondering to know the monitor mode and how you mount the monitor on m10

thank you,

Chenkang

20. Josh Shimasaki

Josh Shimasaki New Member

Thank you for this information. I don't know why Freefly mentioned about this when they release MoVI M10. Still many people think that this is only option for M5 or M15.....