/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll trim when facing 90 degrees down

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Chris Herr, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Has anyone found out a way to adjust the roll trim when the camera is facing -90 degrees down. Whenever I trim out it affects the pan axis not the roll. If I pan to 0 degrees the roll trim works as expected. Why does the roll map to the pan when the tilt axis is 90 degrees? I understand it would appear to be a roll trim in the POV of the camera but not in the orientation of the MoVI cradle.

Any suggestions?

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chris, we control from the camera frame of reference so this is expected behavior. I think there was some talk of making this user definable in a future FW but need to check.

What instance are you thinking you would prefer the other control hierarchy?

Thanks

T

3. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Hi Tabb,

We've got the MoVI on a jib facing straight down, and it's slightly panned camera left (when oriented towards the floor) it would be great to be able to adjust this and even use this axis to "pan" when facing 90degrees. Another side effect I noticed was the camera would pan and roll slightly when going from 0 to 90 degrees. It looked like it was gradually moving the roll trim information to the pan axis, for that reason alone It would be good to separate the two somehow.
    Chris

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Can you grab a photo showing the camera off vertical 90 to the left? Not sure if its panned enough to be noticable in a photo..

5. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Chris,

If you have the new FW, you should be able to trim the pan (which is your roll when the camera is facing straight down). If your camera is "panned" camera-left when facing down then you'd need to trim the roll.

Andy or Austin, can Chris reprogram his remote so he can control the tilt and the roll (aka pan when facing down)?

Thanks

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kurt:
    Sure....the mental model you need is:

1. The DX7s controls map to specific radio control channels.
    2. The FF configuration application program allows you to change which channels are assigned to which functions of the MōVI:

MoVI M5 channel assignments P04-24.png

So you can see that the Remote Mode is on channel 6 EDIT: For the Spektrum! You can reassign the channels to different controls on the DX7s. If there is a minus sign (e.g. -2), that just reverses the direction in which the MōVI moves with respect to the stick or switch.

The DX7s manual makes it a tad less than obvious to figure out which controls control which channel, but if you look at page 17 you'll see this diagram:

DX7S Channels p17.png

So, from the top:
    Channel/Control
    1 Throttle
    2 Aileron
    3 Elevator
    4 Rudder
    5 Gear
    6 Auxiliary 1
    7 Auxiliary 2

I'll continue this on the next posting

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry about that....somehow managed to hit Post Reply before I was done.
    Anyway, now you need to figure out which Control is which on the DX7s:

So now off you trot to page 6 of the DX7s manual where you will find:

DX7s controls page 7.png

And from there you can see that that list above can be augmented by adding the letter which refers you to the specific control:

Channel/Control/Letter on diagram
    1 Throttle R (left stick backwards and forwards)
    2 Aileron F (right stick left and right)
    3 Elevator F (right stick backwards and forwards)
    4 Rudder R (left stick left and right)
    5 Gear U (switch at top left)
    6 Auxiliary 1 V (three position switch -- see note below)
    7 Auxiliary 2 B (rotary control, top right)

Note: Good luck with figuring out which is Auxiliary 1 from the diagram above -- they don't even mention it! I had to turn on my DX7s, press the thumbwheel to select servo setup and waggle switches until I saw AX1 moving on the display.

Did I mention that Spektrum don't make it easy to figure out which RC channels are controlled by which switch? Took me a while to figure it out.

Anyway, within the limitations of the fact that the switches in the DX7s are pre-assigned to these channels (higher end Spektrum models and Futaba transmitters allow re-assignment), you can figure out what you need to do:

1. I want Remote Pan to be controlled by something other than the right stick.
    2. Look up the channel number that corresponds to the stick/rotary control/switch you want to use.
    3. Use the FF Configurator and assign Remote Pan to that channel.
    4. Experiment with whether the channel needs to have a minus sign before it to reverse the direction (you'll soon figure out if you have pan set wrongly -- you'll move a stick left and it will pan right!)

These same principles apply to, say, the Futaba transmitter, however, there you have the added complexity of dealing with the fact that you can pre-assign switches/sliders/rotary controls/sticks to specific channels yourself so there is the extra step of answering that question!

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

8. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Thanks a lot Andy! You truly are the go-to guy for remotes. I know I'll resort back to this thread the next time I need to make any changes to the DX7/8 controller.

Actually, I have one more question for you. I asked Austin but maybe you can help. On a DX8 controller, I reprogrammed it so you can flip a switch to have tilt change between inverted and regular mode (from Austin Glass' video):

When I was on set, we went into duel operator mode and I found the tilt speed to be as fast as possible, even with the tilt dial (above your right hand on the controller) turned all the way down. I flipped the switch between inverted and regular and it was fast on both settings. Austin shared his thoughts with me and I'm wondering if you had 2 cents you could donate :)

-K

9. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Oh Kurt, I didn't realize that my last suggestion was a dead end. Did you confirm that the mixing values were correct?

10. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Austin, Sorry, I should've replied to you. I double checked and the values were as you mentioned in the video. I should mention I didn't have a problem when I followed your instructions on a DX7 controller. It was on a DX8 controller I had the fast tilt issue.

Thanks for checking back in

11. Austin Glass

Hmmm, I'm wondering if my instructions aren't compatible with the DX8. Maybe Andy can chime in regarding possible differences? I do not have a DX8, so I can only find limited info without being able to test.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Do you recall how you achieved that, Austin? I don't have a DX8 here to play with -- but it sounds like you're using one switch to control the sense of another -- not sure that the DX7s allows for that.

Andy.

13. Austin Glass

Well I've only ever had a DX7s… it's the DX8 I do not know about.

My trick is to setup a couple of the mix channels mapped to one of the unused switches.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've not tried mixes on the DX7 -- actually I don't offhand know (without looking in the manual) whether it supports mixes?

Andy