/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK BL 3.0 and T-Motors Incompatible?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steven Flynn, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

I had an earlier post where my Double Quad 2XL ESC card fried after some easy motor tests. MK has sent me a new board, but I'm hearing from some individuals that they are having some similar problems. Specifically I have the T-Motor MN 4012's. I'm ready to start building my new card but wanted to see if anyone has had this combination work for them? I was told by my sales person that alot of guys were flying this combination of motor and esc, so I assumed it was working... is that accurate? Or am I in for more pain when I build this board and watch it not work? Should I dump the motors and get different ones? (like I have that money anymore...) Any thoughts or comments would be so appreciated. Thanks. Steve.

2. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Holger said the the new motors work, some people have had a bit of trouble with timing and programming the BLs, when I had a query I was pointed in the direction of contacting MK support, and they came back with a green light for the combination I wanted to use ... If in doubt try going to MK with the combination you want to run if you have doubts.

Cheers

Chris

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I just experienced a bad double quad 2XL board but its not related to running T motors. I've been running U5 motors without any problem.

4. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know I'm not alone out there... I'll email MK and see what they say about timing. Can someone explain exactly what the timing setup is for? How does one dial that in? So much to learn....

5. Nacho Diaz

Nacho Diaz New Member

I am building an X8 with a Double Quadro XL cool board with Tiger MN4014-11 330 kv motors. The first board I received seemed to be working properly during the motor test, until I tried a motor test with all the motors at the same time (withoup propellers) and it caught fire.

I sent it back to MK in Germany and they sent me a new one. With this one I am having some problems also, because if I connect all the motors, I get Bl-Selftest error 9 "C doesn´t go too low" .If I disconnect change one of the motors for a Sunnysky motor I also have, I don´t get any errors. If swap the top and the bottom motor of an arm, sometimes I get no error and sometimes I get error 12 "cross circuit between low and high".

All my motors are brand new and have been tested in another external ESC without problems.

I think there is any kind of incompatibility between new MK Bl-Ctrl 3.0 and my motors. Myabe they have too many poles (24P). I have tried changing StartPWM and timing, but the errors are still there.

I asked MK Germany and they told me I shouldn´t have problems with my motors.

Before sending this board back to MK I am going to check my solderings, but I am pretty sure they are ok. I have female connectors soldered directly to the board, and I will try soldering pigtails first.

6. Dave King

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

8. David burdeny

David burdeny New Member

So far my experience with the Double Quad 2XL ESC has not been a positive one. My first board barely made it past the first motor test before it gave me I2C errors and stopped working all together. Working towards a deadline I purchased another one and shipped the first board back to Germany. Mikrokopter sent me an email last week indicating it was defective and would repair it.

The second board was working great for over a month, but burst into flames three days ago while away in Vietnam. It happened 40 seconds into a short test flight and by the grace of god was only at eye level and sans-camera. I managed to get it down with out breaking anything, but the flames destroyed the flight controller and took a few years off my life in the in the process. Maybe it just doesn't like the Tiger MT 3515-15 motors... or maybe it was the heat/humidity...dust..or something I'm doing wrong in general?

Attached Files:

9. Dave King

Wow David that's scary. Holger did say there's parts on the board that were prone to moisture and dirt so that could have been the problem. What was the weather like the day you flew? The board should have no problem with the Tiger motors you run.

10. David burdeny

David burdeny New Member

It was around 28 C and slightly humid. The weeks prior I was in Bali where the humidity was often be in the 75 range and an air temp of 30 C. Hopefully it was just a humidity/dirt issue which in theory can be solved by coating the board.

11. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day David,
    That looks like a horrid experience, you (I and everyone else) would be expecting a top end PDB to behave better than that.
    Glad to hear damage was minimal.
    Cheers
    Chris

12. Nacho Diaz

Nacho Diaz New Member

I have one of the new boards of MK Double XL Quadro with the coating sealing, but I am scared with David´s post because I don´t think a little coating will prevent me from another burn of the electronics. Maybe the new BL-Ctrls are only compatible with MK motors, but the new MK3644 motor doesn´t fit my needs.

13. Dave King

I linked David's post to Holger and this was his response.

Hello Dave,
    no, our BL V3 is compatible with that motor. We are using that type here, also.
    But driving the motors without propellers caused (sometimes) problems with the older firmware.
    Regards,
    Holger

14. David burdeny

David burdeny New Member

Hopefully the firmware update eradicates that Hindenburg bug - very scary and very dangerous.