/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting NDs onto epic/cp2 rig?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Brendan Isaac, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Brendan Isaac

Brendan Isaac New Member

Hey guys,

Any solutions out there???

2. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

3. Jonathan Stevenson

Just used this last week on a shoot. Worked great.

4. Michael Elsegood

Hi Jonathan, I'm also looking at this filter solution for CP2s. Just wanted to know what strength NDs you got. My main concern is that the kit seems to have plain NDs and not IRND. Did you have any IR issues with the stronger filters? Also wondering if its possible to stack filters in this holder, i.e. an ND1.2 plus ND.6?

Thanks in advance

5. Ben Huddleston

I also mentioned in another post that I recently needed to put ND on CP2s and decided to hack into one of the CP2 lens covers. One of my ACs cut a perfectly centered 82mm hole in the cap, and we gaffed in an 82mm to 77mm stepdown ring I had. Then we could screw in any of the Schneider/B+W 77mm filters I had around (which happen to be quite affordable). Worked superbly, and I'm keeping that hacked cap in my kit. It only vignetted on the 18mm.

Brad Meier likes this.
  6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If you are shooting RED how about the new Motion Mount. Up to 8 stop ND and other features.

7. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Interesting idea Gary. Pricey, but interesting.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes. Just thinking that by the time you buy multiple densities of externals, adapters, the time of changing the price delta may start to diminish. Anyone have the Motion that has some thoughts?

9. Ben Bateman

Ben Bateman New Member

Yes - we've been using the EF motion mount on Epic & Scarlet setups. The biggest downside right now is that it is only supported in beta firmware, although it can't be long before the stable release is out. You'd have to be brave (being kind) to use beta firmware on a commercial shoot.

A great feature of the motion mount is controlling ND via a REDMOTE without having to touch the rig. We're still experimenting with how motion looks with the motion mount when used with soft/square shutter vs ND only mode. The motion mount is also a linear polarizer, so you need to take that into account when using it, as well as the fact that as soon as you start using it your camera is always at least 1.6 stops less sensitive while it is mounted.

Anyway, it's a great option for the whole shooting Epic/Scarlet outside problem, but obviously doesn't help if you want to use those CP.2s, Canon cine primes etc on other cameras.