/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bl-Ctrl limited

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustavo Rios, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi, I have problems with the overheating of the Bl-Ctrl, caused by the weight probably or not good ventilation.
    I can change the Bl-Ctrl and power board for another with more capacity to prevent this to happen again by keeping the same engines ?
    I have CS6 with QC-3328 motors and Mk electronics.

Thanks.

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Gustavo

Your running into the same problem many of us are having. What kind of weight is your copter and what camera are you using? The issue is that there can be some trial and error getting the copter to work good with the I2C converter. Some people haven't had any issues, some people have had some yaw and other issues that have taken some time to sort out. Since there's a lot of differnent combo's out there its very hard to determine if its more of a "bolt on" and fly mod that you can fly reliably at this point. I know Josh who has done this has already said its best to wait till Synapse comes out. Same can be said about Quadrocopter, they have told me to hold off.

There are a few things that can help get you that maybe you don't have to change your setup.
    1. Changing props can lower temps and keep them managable. I found the XOAR 14X 4.5 props to have reduced my motor temps over 10 degrees. I think some guys have found the carbon fiber 13 inch props are working very well in the CS6. I think Drones4U have done some prop testing with the CS6, I would check out their youtube page. Here's a few videos.

2. Check your Center of gravity if its off some of your motors can working harder to maintain balance.
    3. Install Heat sinks on the BL MOSFETS. I have them but haven't installed them yet. I was waiting for a few days downtime. Some believe they can reduce the motor temps up to 10%

3. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi Dave,
    I use a GH2 on a 3 axis gimbal. The gimbal weight with camera, battery, antenna, video transmitter etc is about 2.4 kg

4. Dave King

What props are you using? How hot do your motor temps get? Do they get hot on in hover? Is the same motors that get hot?

5. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

sorry, I use apc 14x4.7, in a hover had the problem, I think before I would be flying at a limit but the cool wind keep the temperature low.
    Check GPX file

Attached Files:

6. Dave King

Gustavo

I never seen 15 satallites on the MK GPS before I saw this file. Your in a good GPS location Best I ever saw was 12. However you are getting compass errors which can cause motor problems. Not saying that's your issue here because every motor you have is very hot. How long have you noticed the motor temp issue? Looking at the weather for Lima right now it looks like you have cool temps around 60? Your motor temps seem to continue to go up and up until the very end.

The GH2 isn't a very heavy camera and is the recommended camera for the CS6 according to the Quadrocopter sight. Are you carrying a heavy lens? Maximum recommended payload is 2.0 kg for the CS6 so your over recommended weight by about almost a pound. I wouldn't think your BL's should be that hot in that kind of weather but I'm not too experienced with the CS6. Can anyone else chime in?

I would recalibrate the compass and just see if it has any effect and go from there. Have you checked your CG through MK tools?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

FWIW I saw 16 satellites out in the Alvord Desert in SE Oregon -- far from any sources of radio frequency interference, and with a great sky view.

Andy.

8. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Back to the issue about the warming of the Bl.
    I can change the Bl-Ctrl and the power board by others to improve the temperature. I check other thread about a fan below battery, this works ?

Gustavo.

9. Dave King

I have not seen any results that are conclusive. When was the last time you did a compass calibration? I would recommend doing that and also checking your CG with MK tools as both can have affects on motor issues.

Lastly,Have you considered just purchasing the parts you need to upgrade to a CS8?

10. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

The following would not be a CS6 heavy lift ?. I think can to use more parts of the CS. I don't know is any idea

11. Dave King

I would try the things I recommend above with CG and compass calibration and see where you are at that point before doing anything.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustavo:
    The GPX files shows all the BL-Ctrls getting pretty hot in just a few tens of seconds.
    Can you tell me:
    1. What propellers you were using?
    2. How heavy is the combined copter (aircraft, batteries, gimbal, camera)?
    3. What was the ambient air temperature when the GPX file was recorded.

Thanks
    Andy.

13. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Thanks Andy,

1. Use apc 14x4.7 propellers
    2. the gimbal weight 2.4 kg, in this flight had a 8000mah battery that weighs 845 gr, I don't know the weight of CS6 but is standard
    3. the temperature was about 16 C

In this flight I had a crash I thought cause for the limit of the bl-ctrl but reading the thread of Nick ("Crash, how can you protect yourself from this happening? "), I also had a low battery warning before crash, the strange thing is that the first warning I have always time to landing but this time not, first beep down . I not have melted or unsoldered EC5 connectors or wire, all are fine.

Gustavo.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gustavo:
    It looks to me like the problem was indeed the BL Ctrl temperatures. At the end of the flight they are 102,108,107,102,102,98.

At those kinds of temperatures my understanding is that the BL-Ctrls will go into protective shutdown -- they will start throttling back to try and cool down.

What I don't understand about this flight is that if the ambient air temperature was 16C as you say, how come the BL-Ctrls are immediately at 49,46,52,50,53,51? I presume that this was not the first flight of the day.

After only 60 seconds they are already at 84,87,87,87,88,83 -- which seems a little warm.

Could the cause of this merely be that the copter is too heavy and the motors are having to work too hard to stay airborne? I don't see any other error flags -- and it looks like there was a fair amount of lateral movement that would have provided some cooling for the BL-Ctrls.

Do you happen to have heat sinks installed on the MOSFETs on the BL-Ctrls? That might help dissipate some of the heat.

The Low Battery warning occurs at 14.6 volts -- which should mean that there is still plenty of power to keep the copter airborne.

In the last second of flight (with the altimeter at 6.25 meters, I see that you pulled the throttle all the way back causing a very rapid descent of -4.61 meters per second even with a ground speed of 5.9 meters per second (21 kph). It looks like the Cinestar was rolling right, and Boom #1 was raised above the horizon.

What was going on in that last second or two of flight please?

Andy.

15. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

I had two batteries charged and not going to use, so I went to make a couple of flights in stationary to consume, I was just flying in hover until there was failure and crash, all this happened at low altitude, about three meters. I had a broken landing gear only.
    In the last second nothing, only first beep to low battery.

Gustavo.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I suspect that it was the BL-Ctrls shutting down that caused the crash -- although I am not quite sure why you would pull the throttle all the way back one second before impact?

Have you had a chance to examine the GPX file using MK_GPXTOOL? It will allow you to play the flight back slowly and you can see what is happening....

Andy.

17. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

is likely that when I see that is going to fall, I have pull the throttle all trying to get it back, I'm not sure but it may be the reaction to avoid the crash.

Gustavo

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood.

You might want to examine previous GPX files to see if there is a pattern of the BL-Ctrls getting too hot in previous flights on other days.
    You can get MK_GPXTOOL from here: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MKGPXTool

Andy.

19. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Ok, tell me, to place a small cooling fan can help to improve this ?

Gustavo.

20. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

I was told by Quadracopter a while back that the GH2 camera, 3-axis, CS6 combination was not ideal. Camera too heavy. They suggested flying a lighter Gopro if I wanted a 3-axis setup. Is it possible to fly a GoPro and see if you have an overheating problem?

jim