/dist/images/branding/favicon

An In-Depth Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Sally Lewis, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Sally Lewis

Sally Lewis New Member

Hello from South Florida!
    Greatly appreciate the short tutorials on the Freefly website. Also appreciate the videos on YouTube. Any chance someone experienced with the Movi could post a more detailed tutorial for us beginners? Very easy to video following a person and it indeed looks majestic.

Would love more details on how to go from behind to the front of the person walking like we see in so many of the videos posted. Thank you! Sally

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sally: I'm not sure whether there are plans for such a tutorial, but the general rule is to pretend that the Movi was a cup full of tea or coffee -- and then you have to imagine how you would walk to avoid it spilling.

The walking behind and "over taking" someone move is also something where you would have to practice doing that -- there really is no magic to it -- just imagine doing it without the Movi in your hands and just holding your smart phone. When you do use the Movi and Majestic mode you'll find it makes it easier to pan the phone as you pass by the person.

Hope that helps.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Sally Lewis likes this.
  3. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Sally,

To date, the best tutorial/overview appears to be Mark Spencer’s:

Mr. Spencer and Steve Martin run Ripple Training, which is widely regarded as the best publisher of Final Cut Pro training materials.

#3 Rorick Edge, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Sally Lewis likes this.
  4. Sally Lewis

Sally Lewis New Member

Thank you very much! Great idea.

5. Sally Lewis

Sally Lewis New Member

Thank you for the suggestion! I did watch the video a few times!

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Susan:
    Also, you might want to bear in mind Frequently Asked Questions #11 and #22 on this page.

And don't hesitate to ask even what seem rather basic questions on the forum. We were all beginners once.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Sally Lewis likes this.
  7. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I think the two biggest things to remember about the Freefly Movi: Do I want the unit to respond FAST and PRECISELY when operating or do I want it to respond SLOWER and GRADUALLY when starting or stopping a pan?

If two people are talking, and you want to whip back and forth between 2 people, I would want the unit to quickly respond and stop where I want it to.

If I am doing a tracking shot forward and want it to maintain a straight line, I may want the unit to respond a bit slower and "ignore"and be less susceptible to my minor hand movements as I move.

I'm still learning the Movi, but figuring out which settings to use for which situation---- Slow/Med/Fast and how big of a window will be the key for me.

It really is a joy to use --- and I look forward to finally getting into that mental "zone" when it does exactly what I want it do.

Sally Lewis and Rorick Edge like this.
  8. Sally Lewis

Sally Lewis New Member

Really appreciate all the advice as a beginner. :)