/dist/images/branding/favicon

New M5 Motors Vibrating

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chad Wright, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Chad Wright

Chad Wright New Member

I've used the M5 one time before when we got it last week and everything went very smoothly (no pun intended).

This morning on a shoot I balanced a 5D Mark III on there. When I turn it on, the motors start vibrating badly, causing the entire system to shake. Here's a screen shot from the app.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Chad Wright

Chad Wright New Member

I also tried turning the system on without the camera and it does the same thing.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you autotuned the M5 since the vibrations started, Chad?
    As you say, the oscillations will be worse if the 5D Mark III is not on the MōVI as the mass of the camera is required to stabilize the M5 -- there is a lower-bound on the mass of the camera for the M5 -- for example, if you use a Pannie GH4, you may need to add weight.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Chad Wright

Chad Wright New Member

I did use the Canon 50mm 1.4 on the 5D, instead of the 24-70mm 2.8 I've used before. Would the lighter lense made the difference?

I didn't auto tune it after it started doing that. I was afraid of it doing damage to the motors. Will try though.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chad:
    Yeah, any change to the "mass in motion" will make a big difference.
    Definite autotune in your future! :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert