/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help, Error Codes on Double XL BL installation

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steven Flynn, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

G'day Ash:
    I don't remember what the error message was either -- but it certainly sounds like you had a moisture problem that corrected itself when things dried out. I guess we're going to have to add a hair dryer to the list of tools we need to take out on a shoot.

Check out this thread (Message #285): http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...y-lift-copter-project.3091/page-15#post-41110 where Dave King reports on an email he got from Holger about applying some sealant to the Double Quadro board...

Andy

2. Ashley Fairfield

Thanks Andy. So does that mean I can get away with just doing the points Holger outlines or do you see the need to do more of the board?

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

If you go to my heavy lifter thread you will see all the info about the new boards and how there are certain components that are very suspecible to moisture. Holger is recommending a special coating on these components.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

G'day Ash:
    I'm not 100% sure whether I would do the entire board or just the components that Holger describes...certainly, I'd lean towards doing the whole board, but it may not be necessary.

Andy

5. Ashley Fairfield

6. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

hey gang, i'm back and ready for my power up test on the double xl replacement. It takes a really long time to get all the parts when you live in ireland. so... my big question is... tell me that it's ok to power up the board with 8 motors (with no props), and to do motor tests and run the system for a while on the bench? Of course I'm assuming it is fine, how else would you know... but this is what I did last time and it fried my board after 3 minutes of running motors with no load (props)... so before I do it again I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something... Thanks for any tips on the power up, and yes I'm open to ritual and or magic incantations... steve

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think this a question for Steve "Burn'em" Maller or Dave "Smoke'em" King :rolleyes: ..... I would have said, sure, under normal circumstances the motors will act as sufficient load, but I'm not so sure with the 3.0 generation of things. I certainly wouldn't go full throttle on the motors, but ordinarily 30% "should work."

Steve, Dave: would you recommend doing this with or without the sacrifice of a goat?

Andy.

8. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

No goats around, but a bunch of sheep down the road. I thought the load might be an issue, so no full speed stuff... but some slow speed tests? Then I could put props on and strap it to the goat/sheep to keep it from flying away for the full speed tests? Thanks for the advice...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

In which case: have a couple of pints of Guinness, have a spare pint standing by, and then try it.
    The spare pint is to be used in case anything gets too hot and "sustained ignition" occurs.
    Sláinte!

Andy.

EDIT: Sorry...I was not clear....the spare one is to be consumed as you watch the smoke rising. :rolleyes:

10. Dave King

Have you done the updates to the power board like Holger suggested here http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...y-lift-copter-project.3091/page-15#post-41114
    If so you should be just fine.

11. Dave King

The destruction twins.

Steve Maller likes this.
  12. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

All right. i know you are all sitting around with everything on hold waiting to hear I made out. Thanks for that. Board is up, motors spin right (only ran it up at 3 on the power test). Starts stops... all looks good. I saw the link to the power board updates and I notice my board already has the sealant on the transitors, so I don't want to do the firmware update cuz it probably already has it. How do I see what version is installed? IN mk tool the only tab that comes up is BL2 or BL1. One interesting thing, my last board never beeped. I had to solder my beeper from my old rig over to the new FC. But for some reason, this board beeps. So it's raining now, (go figure Ireland). I'm going to mount it all up, balance, align, then tie it to something (like my 7 year old) and do a test flight. Thanks to all of you for your help and guidance. I would have thrown myself somewhere if I hadn't had you as a resource. Probably going to go have a Guinness now as per Andy's recommendation... have to follow the master... all the best ye all. talk soon.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear all is well, Steven.
    I've not gone with the BL3.0's yet so I'm afraid I don't know how you persuade MK Tool to display the version number. SteveM? DaveK?

A pint of "Genius" is definitely called for.
    A least you get yours with real Liffey water. Mine comes in a can.
    Sláinte!

Andy.

14. Dave King

I have not done the update yet. I don't think you can tell which version is on it currently but I could be wrong. Where's my Destruction twin Steve?