/dist/images/branding/favicon

Newbies with Phantoms: WTF

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Steve Maller, May 12, 2013.

1. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

No I have not really played with the model characteristics. I use it for all of the above that you mention.

For starters. It allows you to climb rapidly with a 5D without consequence I imagine if you that type of climb in the CS BL temps would go out of limits fast, unless you are flying arctic tundra. Now that it is summer I am seeing my BL's hit the 90's with simple climbs and maneuvers, granted I flew at a ground elevation of 6500 when that happened.

You can dump the nose to about 60 degrees go full throttle ans stay level. I would venture you could do that for two minutes in the CS before the battery is dead.

The landing profile is okay. I find that if you add some turbulence to about 40%, you kind simulate the wobble that the CS makes in ground effect especially if it is not loaded. I find with a heavy camera the CS is rather stable.

The Sim lets you dump the throttle and quickly accelerate out of it. Maybe with no camera that can be done i.e. CS8 no gimbal. I tried it with the HEX dry weight without gimbal and it was able to recover. I doubt the same with a 5D or DSLR equivalent not that I have any reason to try that with the CS. I only maneuver my HEX like that to practice getting out of stalls from vortex ring state.

I used to do this sim on a projector at my old studio. It would have been nice to have FPV screen on my 7 inch monitor to simulate using FPV in conjunction with LOS.

That would be my main assessment.

2. Shaun Stanton

Its hard to tell with the GoPro. I suppose one way to figure out an approximate height is to measure the building sizes at takeoff and at his max height. With that ratio you could get an approximate height. The cinestar at 400 feet is less than the size of a dime, if a dime was near your eyeball. At 900 feet he would have no longer even seen the thing in the sky, considering the Phantom is the width of one prop on the CS.

Just another Toolbag with a toy. And now the AMA model aviation magazine has a positive review about the Phantom, encouraging more people to get one. At least its an AMA publication, so in theory the target audience should be abiding by their standards, but we all know that may not always be the case.

3. Shaun Stanton

You just openly admitted on this forum that you violated an FAA flight restriction. 400 Feet is the highest you are allowed to fly an RC type aircraft, by the FAA Advisory Circular 91-57.

4. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Thanks for citing the advisories Shaun. If you know of any other cites or any other regulations I can ready and study on, please let me know. Thank you.

5. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That's impressive. It's dated June 9, 1981. That's 32 years ago tomorrow. I wonder if Ray Van Vuren imagined where we'd be today when he signed his name to this regulation.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure he did.

In 1981 Microsoft bought the rights to Q-DOS from Tim Patterson at Seattle Computing. It was renamed to MS-DOS. Adam Osborne introduced the Osborne 1 portable CP/M based machine, and IBM introduced the IBM 5150 personal computer.

It would have been easy to have figured the rest out.... :)

Andy.

8. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member