/dist/images/branding/favicon

YOU ESC(S)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Marc BRACELET, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hello Guys,
    Everything is in the title, I open this post in order to learn a little more about ESC(s) you are using and what do you think about them...

Mine are Basic RED BRICK 70A from HobbyKing.These are the only at 70A power which are reflashables with SmonK Firmware and especially to have radiator for cooling ...
    I look for to my future CS8 to Castle Creation, but no idea yet if they are completely already for Multirotor using...

A picture of RedBrick mounted under the frame with 30mm metal spacer...:)

CINE6-8s.JPG

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Guessing your using the 30mm spacers to hang the gimbal off the copter? How much cooling do they get down there? Doesn't look like there would be that good of air-flow?

3. Marc BRACELET

Exact Josh...:cool:

In fact, not so much, that's the reason why i choose ESC with radiators. Sometimes after long flight (up to 15 minutes with 7D/5D) i use an infrared thermometer to control temp of motors and ESC and temperature rarely exceeds 41 degrees celsius for them (Motors and ESC).
    With radiators, i think it' s not a real problem to put ESC out of the airflow...

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

This is a great topic.

Are there any other high power ESC options for MK other than MK ESCs? We are very limited on 12C controllers. I'm somewhat nervous to use MK controllers on 5s with big motors. I know kopterworx produced a couple of options but they seem to be unavailable now.

Why not continue to use your Red Bricks on your new CS8 build?

5. Marc BRACELET

If Casle Création firmware won' t be as good as the Simonk, i probably Re-Order some Red Brick Opto.
    But for security reasons, i think CCreation are far well made than chinese ESC.
    The price is impressive too, 800 $ for a CS8 and just for ESC....Gulp....
    But for such an expensive tool like our UAV...The price of "Zenitude".

6. Howard Dapp

I'm reading good thing about the simonk fw. Do you know if this fw is supported by higher end speed controllers? Not sure if I want to hang my equipmemnt on a ship using hobbyking speed controllers, even though they may work great.

Anyone using this i2C converter with the MK?

http://translate.google.com/transla...onvertisseur_i2c_%3E_pwm_4_6_8_voies_v15.html

It allows you to use standard high power speed controllers. Here are a couple of threads in other forums on the matter.
    http://www.mikrokopter.us/the-hardware/i2c-ppm-converter/

And

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326138

I plan to read through these threads then make a decision whether or not to give one a try.

7. Marc BRACELET

I think, for the moment, RED Brick 70Amps OPTO are the more powerful. I know that the HK 50/60 Amps are also very easily reflashable with this fabulous NEW TOOL...:cool:. HK ESC with SimonK firmware are simply incredible.

So i have a really great news too:), i have just receive a mail from Castle creation and it seems that their new firmware 4.0.1 (not beta) works very well with multirotors. They have created a special mode for Multis :cool: with success.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You can read this discution on RCGroup about Castle creation ESC.

For a Cinestar 6 or 8 They have advised me to fly with ICE 50 (Lite) or ICE 75 (Lite)...It depend on motors you run...:rolleyes:

8. Howard Dapp

That is very good information. Thany you.

Maybe you can do us MK guys a favor and ask CC if they plan to include 12C support in any of their speed controllers :) that would be awesome if they do.

9. Marc BRACELET

This serie from Castle Creation have 12C support and they are Opto ( No Bec )

[​IMG]

10. Howard Dapp

Very interesting, I'll shoot CC an email to confirm mk compatibility. I haven't heard of anyone using these yet. Fingers crossed!

*Edit. I see why maybe no one has used these on their mk as of yet... $129 for the 40A

If they work and are quality i'd pay that amout. Question is, are they ideal for multirotors.

11. Marc BRACELET

Today, with the New firmware...a big Yes:cool:
    But don' t forget to read all this discution on RCGroup about Castle creation ESC.

So just a question why do you want 12C support...?

Marc.

12. Howard Dapp

I fly MikroKopter which can only communicate with i2C enabled ESCs. There are i2C to PWM converters available that will allow MK users to use standard non i2C ESCs but i'm reading mixed opinions on them in regards to poor flight stability.

13. Marc BRACELET

Ok, i unterstand, so for Mk you have also the Famous AERODRIVE (Swiss made), but it's very expensive...

[​IMG]

14. Howard Dapp

Yes, Kopterworx Aerodrove looks great but they've been unavailable for the past year I believe. Not sure if Kopterworx are still producing them. They also produce Herkules ESCs and they too are never available. We could simply use MK speed controllers but It is not recommended to use them with big motors and 5s because of overheating. I just wouldn't feel confident using them on a heavily loaded ship. Tabb is working on a mega lift machine but i'm not sure if he's using MK electronics...most likely WKM.

15. Marc BRACELET

Ok Howard, sorry for my MK's ignorance:rolleyes:, sometimes I said to myself that I have done really well to take the DJI flight control, everything is so simple and safe.:cool:

16. Howard Dapp

Yes, no worries. We might be going the DJI route as well if we don't soon solve our MK/ESC dilemma.

17. Tommy - KnightDesignDev

Heatsinks are on my upgrade plan...

18. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I did use CC 25 escs with wkm in CineStar 6 and they worked very well, now i use ZeroUAV YS-X6 controller and sadly CC doens't come along with YS yet. So now i use HK blueseries 40A:s and they are very good too with SimonK fw. I have also used HK F-40A:s which worked as well too but ESC cluster was over 200g heavier, that's why i went to blue series. I have been using 12X3.8 props but tested lately with 14X5 xoars in 2814 770KV t-motors and motor temps were 22-25C after 8 mins flight, also ESC:s were barely warm. I just wonder aren't 60/70A esc:s a bit overkill, i try to consume as less amps as possible in hover and bigger esc:s brings just more weight. In hover my CS6 AUW 4,8kg consumes under 50Amps total so it's only 7-8A /motor. Very fast climbs peaks are around 80A max for the second when accelerating.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the link for the Aerodrive should be this one -- the one in Marc's email doesn't appear to be the correct one.

Thanks
    Andy

20. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I just called them. These controllers do not have I2C support... wish they did!
    Josh