/dist/images/branding/favicon

Your Radian gains?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Brad Meier, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

So to confirm Brad your shaft was physically sliding up and down in the bearings?

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ill disassemble and make sure what it really is... but I know I can remove that entire center piece out through the bottom when its not bolted to the plate at the top.

Also I just looked through my vids again and Im still getting some sort of vibration I think. Could it be the MK settings? Could you share your MK settings for the CS8 360 with DSLR?

3. Pavlos Antoniou

guys the gain affect the movement of the gimbal with the TX ???

I have a problem with tilt the cam is trebbling a little when i move it with TX>. Its perfectly balance..!
    So the gain has to do with that or not??!

Thx..!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If the gain is set too high, moving it with the Tx causes the tilt to move and then, if it is going to oscillate, it will. Just back the gain off a few percent until it no longer does that trembling.

Andy.

5. Pavlos Antoniou

no it doesnt exaclty trembling..! its not an oscilization..! I cannot describe it..!

I think what describes it best is that the tilt is not smooth as silk..! :) :)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Could you post a movie of it, PaNt, that might be the easiest way for us all to see what you're seeing?
    Sorry -- I realize it's very hard to describe the phenomenon in words....

Thanks
    Andy.

7. kjetil tønnesen

Its your o-ringshow is the problem your gimble is too loose

8. Pavlos Antoniou

Hey Andy here you are.. :) :)

I dont think you can see it..!

9. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Looks fine to me.. Can you post the footage from the camera?

Josh

10. Pavlos Antoniou

I dont have yet...! i am trying to set it up as good as i can and then on Saturday i will do it..i Wish now i have it hanged and i am balancing the hole mount..!! :) :) :)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've watched the video several times, including full-screen on a 30" Cinema display -- is the word we're looking for "hesitating" -- that is the smooth motion briefly changes rate and then resumes at the original smooth rate?

As Josh says, if you could just record some on-the-ground footage from the camera setup that you show in your video we could see the problem better -- no need for airborne video from the camera.

Andy.

12. Pavlos Antoniou

I will do that and i will post again.. thx..!

13. DoozeeAerial

DoozeeAerial New Member

We're are experiencing exactly the same issues as Brad when using our Canon 7D with Tokina 11-16mm lens.

It looks like there is just flex in the gimbal itself, it's not the radians.

Brad - did you manage to solve this issue?

Cheers,

Elliott

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Elliott

Joe Azzarelli has had some luck using a cable tie around the O-rings (in a horizontal loop around the vertical section of the O-rings). If it ever stops raining in Portland before June 2013, I'm going to try that. The goal is to constrict the horizontal motion of the isolator.

Is this the problem you're seeing? Could you post a short video from the payload camera?

Thanks
    Andy

15. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I too tried this trick and it did seem to help. Im hoping to fly some today.

Josh

16. DoozeeAerial

DoozeeAerial New Member

We've tried the zip tie and dampening between the O-Rings. The dampening seems to help, but we still have issues. It's worse with heavier cameras.

I'll post some example footage later from the payload camera.

Investigating on the bench it seems that the actual connections of the gimbal components are the issue. Next step is to reinforce the gimbal components. I'll see if I can post some examples of this flex.

And finally... Hi from the UK, good to finally find a place to discuss the Cinestar! :)

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Elliot, same weather issues here on the east coast so I haven't had time to test. The only reinforcement I have is where the side tubes connect to the back transverse tube. I've found the weight of the 7D has caused that whole assembly to rotate towards gravity and therefore out of rotational balance. Yesterday I decided to remove the gimbal and make sure everything is aligned and tightened. Once I get it all back together ill test the flex your talking about.

Right now I changed back to smaller O rings and put in the zip tie stab method also. Still untested. My new goal is to make the gimbal fairly rigid and increase the gains. It's all very frustrating trying to get to what the Radian promo video was getting. I think there are more people getting bad video than good right now with these.

Like josh said in another thread... I get smooth video without the radians on.. So maybe going to gains of 10 will help... But then what's the point of the radian then?

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Doozieaerial:
    Aha. Rendlesham -- I went to school in Bury St. Edmunds, so you're not too far away from there....
    Do you have access to the airfield at Rendlesham for copter flying?

Welcome to the forum, anyway.

Andy.

19. DoozeeAerial

DoozeeAerial New Member

Andy - yes, our office is on the old American Airbase. It's a perfect location to have our office. :)

20. DooZee Aerial - Pete

Hi, I work for DooZee Aerial with Elliott .
    Having been playing with our gimbal for a while now, im pretty sure that the "Vibration" we and most other people are having is all to do with the Mass of the camera being used.
    I am now looking at strengthening all the plates that are in the gimbal mechinism, to try and stuffen up the whole thing.
    If you grab your gimbals, and pull them about, you will notice a "Flex" in the plastic parts and Carbon sheets that im sure is the cause of the issue. And with the camera mounted, all you need to do is "Tap" the lense and you can see the whole thing "Bouncing". This is apparent while looking at the on board video, if you test fly with the gimbal powered up and down..
    I have also done this with the "O" rings completely by-passed and locked off, so i know its not them causing it..
    I will keep you all up to speed.. but im interested to know if a Metal upgrade for all the plastic clamps would help to reduce this issue and if they are available now or in the near future??? Also a Thicker carbon for the plates in the whole Assy.. Id prefer to trade off a little weight for a steady image..
    Im keen to try an Ally part though, with a Very thin rubber "Grip" to help stop anything sliding about (And i mean Really thin, so as not to introduce more "Wobble", just to apply traction between the carbon tube and the metal surface attempting to grip it..)
    Just a Thought Free fly systems ;)