/dist/images/branding/favicon

Your Radian gains?

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Brad Meier, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I probably had the throttle at 80% at that angle with a CS8.

2. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Also Brad, how do you avoid shooting the boom with that kind of tilt? You must be pointing down a bit.

jim

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Backwards flying is the only option at that angle/speed unless your shot angle is more vertical.

4. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

Hey guys, i think i have Seen the Same problem @ my 360° Gimbal. It is to near on the Frame.

Tommorow i will Post an Video Wehre you can See the Problem.

How many o Rings are u using for an gh2 or cx730?

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I did some experimenting today. I started with tilt up around 130 which was a huge improvement over the 75 or so I had a few days ago. I was able to go all the way up to 200 with no real change in how the Radian performs. It twitches pretty bad in smooth hover, smooth flying and faster flying. At least I know it operates equally bad in all aspects. I also did a flight with the mode switch in the off position and got smooth results... so I know its not the copter. It got dark before I could go back and test settings sub 130. Im thinking my gains must have been slightly too high at 130.

6. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

Hi Brad, when you have Problems with the Tilt Gain your Center of Gravity is not correct.

Usually there is the Problems on the Roll gain.
    Check these out. It will be helpful.

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Nope Philipp.. its not the balance. Ive got that perfect.

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Here is a sample of what I get. This doesnt really change from 100-200 on the gain settings. I think this was at about 130 on tilt. Im beginning to think it may be the o rings from what I'm seeing in this other thread... Ill be trying new rings tomorrow

Oh.. turn down the sound.. i forgot to edit that out

9. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

Is it like these effect?
    Cant see your Vimeo video ... ;-)

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Video works for me. I think your camera work oscillates more than your Radian! ha But no I leave the gains low enough that it doesn't oscillate while hanging. Pan/Yaw axis is fine on mine. I just have a good amount of "bouncing" that im trying to get rid of.. tilt

11. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

Now i can see also your video. ;-)

I think it could be the same problem like my video. It is the centerplate of the axis gimbal. Something there is to loose.

12. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

I found the lateral elasticity of the isolators contributes to the resonance that then requires reducing the yaw and roll gains. The other problem is the play in the yaw servo-belt-pulley system. Anyway, the following is in the "for what its worth" category as I do not have enough results to claim it is effective. What I do know is that I am able to increase the hanging gains for both yaw and roll.
    I pushed the o-rings through the bottom retainer and slid a piece of zip tie to keep it that way. This makes the isolators stiffer. I will update when I have experiential data.
    stiff_isos.jpg

Happy flying!

13. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Joe. Let us know how that works! Looks like an interesting idea. Thanks!

14. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I cutted some gel pad between dampening and it solved problem o-rings slipping through, and also helps a bit if mount jitters in some situations. It's stiffer but i think at least as good reducing vibrations that original rings. Now load is almost completely on gel and rings just keeps dampeners on place.

Attached Files:

• vib1.jpg
      vib1.jpg
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
    • vib2.jpg
      vib2.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Philipp Goose

Philipp Goose Member

Looks very interesting!

Today i´ve made an test. I have install 10mm Spacer an the gimbal are free to move very much in all direktions. Then you can see whats wrong tomorrow i will poste an video.

16. Josh Lambeth

Is it hitting the copter? Thats my guess... I too was going to do some testing on the gimbal tomorrow. Im going to mount a gopro on one boom to watch the gimbal and the frame's interaction... im interested to see what I find out.

Josh

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Did a flight with no gimbal to see if the copter had any vibration... all appears good.

I put some silicon tubing inside the rings similar to what KariY did above. Also picked up some replacement silicon 10mm O rings and some slightly harder 9mm O rings to test. And finally I got some longer standoffs to move the camera plate down off the frame a few more mm. Ill test them all with the GoPro mounted and we can see what works best. Then I can get to adjusting Radian gains! ha

18. Josh Lambeth

I just did almost the same flight except with the gimbal mounted and the gopro looking right at the mounting plate... it's uploading now. My results are not what I thought I would find... It appears to me that the O-rings are TOO strong!?!? Im running some stiffer O-Rings from Tabb but there appears to be no movement what-so-ever? As soon as it's uploaded I will post the video to get some other opinions.

Josh

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Trivia question Brad: Where did you get that bright green flourescent tape? I'm just looking around for different sources.

Andy.

20. Josh Lambeth

Here you go guys... what do you think?

Josh