/dist/images/branding/favicon

yaw shakes when camera is tilted down

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Rolf Ableiter, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

Hi there,

i have some weird trouble with my M10.
    when i tilt down the camera (more than maybe 50°) i get some small shakes in the pan axis.
    these are small single shakes every ones in a while - no oscillation or vibrations.

no matter what stiffness or hold strength settings...

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Do this with the software connected and look at what happens on the motor tab - you should be within one square - post the results. My guess is it's a pan balance issue - if you run out of length on your pan bar, you need to add counter weight. Post rig shots as well and we will sort it out.

3. Rolf Ableiter

thanks - i will look at the charts...
    pan is balanced (both angles).

btw: is it normal that the roll stick on the TX controls the pan motor when the camera is tilted down?

4. Brett Harrison

The motors affect each other, so it may not be the pan.

Bottom line is if you're getting vibes as you tilt down, you are encountering a flaw in the balance (notwithstanding some damage or bug) and that balance issue is likely pan but if the other axes are out in some way, that will mean it's out for other axes after a large rotation of the rig orientation.

About the roll becoming the pan: yes, as you start to look down, pan is effectively roll (think about it, it's in the same position as roll after that 90 degree rotation) as you transition the system blends it like a cross fade - this way the system stays normalised for the viewer - if the camera is looking right down and the operator goes to pan left, this is now the job of the roll motor from the perspective of the operator's 2D reality.

5. Rolf Ableiter

these are not vibrations or oscillations. these are small and fast movements. hard to explain for me because my english is not good enough.
    i have the same sometimes on roll.
    it's maybe less than 0,5° but it is a hard and fast movement (like a switch).
    and i don't have them evereytime i use the MoVI. Today i tried to look at the chart but i didn't have the movements.
    They come and go like they want to. i didn't change anything (camera is still mopunted like yesterday.

6. Brett Harrison

That's your balance and/or operating intensity exceeding your hold value - still recheck your balance and experiment with various hold settings - the higher, the easier it will be for the system to loose 'hold' and have to recover, it's basically maxing out the power of the motor to correct to the degree the settings are requesting. Lower hold values reduce this.

I generally get that hold 'switching' when I pan too fast then stop suddenly, like with the Mimic which is quite intensive. It happens to Larry McConkey here in this video

The thing about the pan motor is it can't be perfectly balanced for all degrees of tilting the handle.

7. Rolf Ableiter

yes but this is the hold strength set to high.
    It is a bit like the I setting with a PID. the movi overacts

i have really small switches. they happen when i do nothing. just switching from time to time. i try to record that but i am sure i have some footage where the switch in pan and roll can be seen.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

To determine which motor is contributing watch the motor charting in the GUI. That will help isolate. Also check for any loose connections or wires binding when tilted in the position that is triggering the situation.

Check all of the channel mappings on both the TX and in the MoVI gui. The roll stick should not have anything to do with pan.

9. Rolf Ableiter

the mapping of the channels (spektrum) is the default mapping how it came when i bought the M10 (looong time ago :) )

so when i move the roll stick and the camera is tilted down the pan motor should do nothing?
    it should still move the roll motor only?

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to clarify, when you say roll stick do you mean the throttle stick with sideways movement? If so it should not change the pan. Again you could open the GUI and see on the channels screen whether it is moving any of the channels in the GUI. Check all of the mappings.

11. Rolf Ableiter

yes - i mean the rudder channel (in plane mode 2).

i will check tomorrow but it is like Brett wrote in his answer. when tilting down the control blends from roll motor to pan motor.
    when the camera is 90° down it is the pan motor only wich is controlled by the stick movement.