/dist/images/branding/favicon

Would it work and make it better?? Cowlings?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Tom Wadsworth, May 30, 2013.

1. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

Heres a Photo

[​IMG]

So would it be better or make it worse?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It has promise, but I'd be mostly concerned about the clearance between the props and the shrouds. If there was the slightest movement and the props contacted the shrouds, it could be disastrous in the air. It looks really tight here. Might have to go with slightly smaller props to insure that wouldn't happen. I don't see how you could insure structural stability with the way these are attached.

3. Tom Wadsworth

Tom Wadsworth New Member

Yeah agree its only a concept and a superimposed photo but just wanted to get a feel from people as to the reason why people don't or why they think it should be done, pro's and con's etc.

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

this might be very interesting with a coaxial Cinestar. I wonder if that might produce unwanted side effects, or if it might even provide smoother airflow with the two props spinning in opposition? You could also get a little economy of scale with one larger shroud versus two smaller ones. i'm intrigued. i wish i had a 3D printer! :cool:

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You're almost on your way to creating a ducted fan motor -- which, as I understand it, does offer some increase in efficiency for higher RPM. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducted_fan

Andy.

6. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Coud be a nice plug and play add-on when required ... Close encounter flying amongst the trees, tight spaces near walls ... I would imagine it buffering itself if you brushed up against a wall. Weight might be an issue for general flying conditions, but well worth packing it in the box of extras! Nice one Tom.

7. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

You could cage each one top and bottom for those who persist in flying over crowds ...

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

There's a good thread on rcgroups about shrouded motors, but it seemed like it wasn't a great option and the idea was abandoned.
    My CS8 barely fits in the car as-is, and that would definitely be too big.