/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wireless follow focus on m5

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Akpe Ododoru, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Akpe Ododoru

Akpe Ododoru Member

Am looking to attach a Wireless follow focus on my m5 (camera 5d3 + 24mm prime lens)
    I don't know what rig to buy or how to attach it onto the m5

Can someone please upload a picture of what theirs is like

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I have an M15, not an M5, but I can put a 5D Mark 3 on my rig. Your setup and needs may be different, though.

Do you plan to have someone else do the focusing while you operate, or does the operator also need to do focus with a thumbwheel? Is this for multi-rotor use, or handheld? Also, how much can you spend? My setup is a little pricey.

I have a Bartech Handset, an fStop digital receiver (from PLC electronics in Canada), and a Heden M21 motor (the Freefly 15mm carbon-fiber rods that come with the Movi baseplate adapter are too slippery, so I use a 3" aluminum iris rod).

Then for my 5D Mark 3 setup, I have some lens gears that clamp on my lenses, and the fStop receiver allows you to calibrate the lens with close and far focus points, so you can use it with DSLR lenses as well as Cinema lenses. This solves the problem with lenses with focus rings that will endlessly rotate.

To power the fStop receiver on the rig, since I don't have larger P-Tap batteries like I would with an Epic, I have the power adapter from Freefly that connects to the Movi battery and turns it into a P-Tap output. The fStop is powered off of a 2nd Movi battery, which the M15 already has a spot for. I'm not sure if this will work with M5 batteries, since they may be lower voltage and capacity.

Next time I put the 5D on there, I'll try to take some pics.