/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wire Gauge Question?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Nick Adams, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Can anyone explain to me, for sure, if the power wires that connect to the battery on the C8 are OK being 12 AWG.
    I had a miss-hap the other day and and my copter decided to land.... instantly. Long story short the EC5 connector was missing from the copter wire.
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?forums/cinestar-8.14/

After feedback in that post I decided to change the power wires to 10 AWG but I just read this post: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ds-to-power-board-connection-came-loose.1648/ and it has made me think twice about re-soldering the power distribution board.

I notice on the 8000 mah Quadrocopter batteries, the connection wires are 12 AWG. The 9000mah Freefly batteries
    have 10 AWG. I am hoping I am not creating a bottle neck with the 9Ah batteries which will melt connections.

Maybe I am being paranoid but a sudden drop from the sky will do that to you

Thanks

Nick

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick: If you have a good quality soldering iron, let it come up to temperature, clean the tip, put a dab of solder on the tip so that it will transfer heat quickly to whatever you touch the tip to, and then apply it to the pad on the side of the PDB where the battery leads are connected.

If you are working with good lighting and either have good eyesight or a magnifying glass, you should be able to see the solder joint melt. Gently pull the wire free once you see the solder melt -- do not pull it up at 90 degrees to the surface of the PD board -- there is a risk you'll pull the pad away from the fiberglass substrate -- pull it parallel to the surface of the board to reduce the risk of that happening.

If you don't have a good soldering iron, good lighting, and good eye-sight, then I would recommend that you buy the Hakko Soldering Station FX-951, get an OttLite OTL13TCG Task Lamp, and a Donegan OptiVISOR. You'll not regret buying any of these! (They're all available on Amazon.)

The choice of wire gauge is really up to you. 12 or 10 is fine -- the resistance of both wires over such short lengths is very small and both can carry the current range the CS8 is likely to draw.

In your case, it was the resistance of a dry solder joint in the EC5 that was the issue, not the wire itself.

You're right to be paranoid, but no need to be paranoid about the wire gauge, IMO. :)

Andy.

3. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

If thats the case I will leave the 12 AWG attached and do a stella job of soldering a new EC5.
    I wish I had known about the Hakko before I bought my Trakpower I think they maybe in a different league.
    Oh well next time.
    Thanks Andy

Nick

4. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Andy,

Out of curiosity, what particular products would you recommend for removing solders? Do you prefer the suction or wick method?
    Any particular products that you would recommend over another?

Nick

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nick: If there's any doubt in your mind about the connections to the PDB, there's no harm in re-melting (aka "re-flowing") the solder joints on the PDB -- just hold the wire in place, re-flow it, and let it re-solidify.

For removing solder, I use a solder sucker similar to this one (I've had for mine for so long, it's not on the Internet!): http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Desolde...qid=1375682875&sr=8-23&keywords=solder+sucker

I also use solder wick (copper braid sold at a higher price): for example: http://www.amazon.com/Steren-400-16...8&qid=1375682955&sr=8-10&keywords=solder+wick

I tend to use the solder sucker first, especially if there's a large quantity of solder -- but for small delicate desoldering, I'll try the wick.

Andy.

6. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Thanks, I will. Can you add solder to a joint that you are re-flowing or is that not a good idea?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sure you can. But don't go overboard with it otherwise there is a risk you'll create a "bridge" of solder to something you shouldn't oughta bridge! :)

Post a close up image of the solder joint when you're done. You want to see nice bright shiny solder, with a smooth surface and no individual wire threads showing through -- but it shouldn't look like a giant blob of solder about to evolve into alien life.... :)

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ah, you young whippersnappers....you don't remember back in the early days of computing when we didn't have the Internet, the AOL folks kept to themselves, people didn't know how to email attachments, and we didn't even have zeros and ones, just zeros....

Andy.

10. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Nick,

Here is a video on soldering EC5 connectors:

Important to know when soldering EC5s is that there is a LARGE amount of solder that needs to cool in the bullet connector for a solid joint. The top my appear solidified but it still liquid in the cavity. Be sure to give it plenty of time to properly cool!

10AWG or 12AWG...both are fine.

Greetings,
    Adam

11. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Thanks Adam,
    I just soldered the EC5 with the help of this video. It helped immensely. Makes me wonder how I did it before:)

Cheers,

Nick