/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wing Thing

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Mike Zintel, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

We shall see how well this works. I'll lock the props with pipe foam.

Mike. _D420676.jpg

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Hmm interesting I would take the props off for safety! Or tie them done otherwise there would become a great gladiator tool!!

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

How fast are you expecting the Honda to go when the copter's at full throttle, Mike? ;)

Andy.

Gary McCready likes this.
  4. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

There a wee innovation on landing gear there too.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....I'd overlooked that. What problem were you trying to solve with the double landing legs, Mike?

Andy.

6. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

Unwise lens choices. The field of view on the Panasonic 8mm fisheye is so wide that it’s difficult to not photograph the bird too. I began tilting the landing legs, but that led to collapse and the gimbal taking the hit when one is not on their A game at landing time.

I just got a 12-32mm and have yet to try it. It looks nice and light, isn’t a fisheye and yet is still decently wide. I’m disappointed not to get a manual focus ring. After reading this forum more I think I should have gone 12-35mm. I was (needlessly I think) worried about weight.

The last time I posted on the forum I was struggling with a mysterious crash with symptoms I2C error, perhaps due to moisture or EMF or elves. To make a long story short, I ended up replacing flight control and power distribution (and waterproofing them). I now think one of these was defective from birth, as the craft flies with a repeatable precision it never had before. All subsequent crashes have been clear operator error involving douglas firs.

Mike.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ah yes. Those magnetic douglas-firs!

Interesting solution to the problem of fisheye lenses. The only unintended consequence would be a hard landing (as you point out) normally dissipates energy by rotating the landing gear and therefore, with your arrangement all of the energy will be transmitted up to the booms. I guess you will just have to stay on your A game for the touchdown! :)

Andy.

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Make sure the foam on the props is secured well. I've had interesting experiences riding up a chair lift and on a snowmobile on a windy day with no prop protector/ foam. The motors started to spin up fast enough at some points that they started to feed power to the esc and started beeping! Probably not good to turn your motors into generators.