/dist/images/branding/favicon

Will the FAA shut the Golf Channel's UAV operations down?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris Babiana, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Interested in seeing if deep pockets are excluded from the FAA drone "policy". Will they turn a blind eye but continue to make examples of smaller operations like the one that was just shut down this past week? One guy promoting his small business is caught by one attending FAA rep v.s. the Golf Channel all over the news announcing their intended drone use for television broadcast.
    This course is in Orlando FL. The Arnold Palmer Invitational PGA Tour.

Articles:
    USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...l-arnold-palmer-invitational-tv-golf/2000817/

uSAS News: http://www.suasnews.com/2013/03/21634/golf-channel-drone/

SB Nation: http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/3...-bay-hill-golf-channel-hovercraft-tiger-woods

YouTube:

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Absolutely insane....awfully dangerous for that copter to fly that low over those golfers heads. I got sick to my stomach watching it.

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

I am the first one for being careful but in a situation where all the players are part of the business themselves and aware of what is happening isn't such a problem in my books. As long as the PGA/Golf Channel is up font with the danger to the players then this is a type of filming I have no issues with.
    Where the line is... is when there are people who have no idea there even is a danger and never signed up for anything. The describes most filming going on these days over peoples heads. Maybe the case here too but if they consent as part of their contracts etc then I say film away.

But yes it will be interesting how this particular instance at a high level with Golf Chanel is dealt with. I foresee heavy regulations playing out in the long run for all this stuff because there is just too much money to be made off of business like this, from a tax and license point of view. Eventually lawmakers will come to their senses and push to regulate and cash in!

4. Richard Gillette

Richard Gillette New Member

5. Howard Dapp

I think it's a bad idea. If the networks really knew the FULL risk potential and how unreliable these things can be at times I think they would reconsider flying that close to play, spectators and pro golfers...consent or not there will be mega lawsuits I don't think the risk is worth it. Flying outside of play and away from spectators is OK but not THAT close as in the 1st video.

Yes I do feel there is a difference when it's done on a movie set compared to a live sporting event where the spectators are not part of play. Sky cam has come down on a couple of occasions during football games. An RC heli has a much greater failure risk than a cablecam I would think...imagine this happening at a live golfing event with an RC helicopter over a crowd of spectators.

What's the percentage of that happening? It's certainly lower than the percentage of a multi falling out of the sky. Not to mention I can't imagine a pro golfer will like the idea of a noisy heli hovering above disturbing their concentration.

6. Chris Shaw

Chris Shaw New Member

I'd probably turn down this opportunity if I were required to fly over spectators heads. Mainly because they're not part of the action, they're just innocent beings looking at a golf game unaware of the potential danger. Not worth the risk

7. Brad McGiveron

Ya there isn't going to be a multi flying on a quiet sunny sunday at the masters. Tweet tweet... the rustling of pine straw and the BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ of a multirotor. No poetry at Hogan bridge with a X8 flying in the background. Not going to happen for other reasons than safety.

You can run a balloon/blimp operation that's quiet and lasts all day for way cheaper. Even a cablecam operation makes more sense than a multi for golf.

8. Brad McGiveron

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow. I can't imagine trying to concentrate with that noise.....
    Andy.

10. Howard Dapp

The most idiotic sight I've ever seen. I'd love to see this done on a gusty day with the same guy and his unstable hands at the controls. I don't know why the whole golf/drone talk annoys me much lol.

11. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

The fellas who did the Golf channel shoot are now overwhelmed with orders. Great social media marketing.

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

It was done by Al, the owner of Hoverfly.

13. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

Tru dat Gary. I talked to the hoverfly guys last week, and they said the phone has been ringing off the hook.