/dist/images/branding/favicon

Will the Alta do WayPoints?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dave King, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Will the alta be able to do waypoints and autonomous flights for mapping and surveying in the future? IF I switch I need this functionality.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

it's not in 1.0, and it's not clear if they have any plans to do it. But SYNAPSE is a general-purpose flight controller, and I bet they could do it if they decide that it's worth implementing.

I'd suggest sending an email to support and ask for that feature. If enough people do, they might move it up in priority. I'm sure others would want to have it.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

The Synapse will not do waypoints, and it isn't on our roadmap at this time.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I yield to the tall guy in the back row. :rolleyes:

MIke Magee likes this.
  5. Dave King

Thanks for the response.:(

6. Stefan Jannides

Stefan Jannides New Member

Yes it would be a great feature, there are many photographic uses for waypoints so I hope it's something we see in the Synapse in the near future.

Klaus Friedrich likes this.
  7. Ian Cresswell

Ian Cresswell New Member

The ALTA is not something I can seriously consider without the ability to do waypoint flights. For a $9k hexacopter, I'd have thought waypoints would be a given.

Stefan Jannides likes this.
  8. Dave King

I really think Freefly is missing the boat on this. It's great that its a fantastic cine-rig but "many" people will be getting into the mapping and survey fields which pays more money. Yes I can do waypoints on a smaller copter but I would rather use an ALTA that is more heavy duty, can handle higher winds and is weather proof. Unlike film work, mapping work is done in all types of weather including when its completely cloudy with no breaks in the ceiling. Having the comfort to know that if it starts raining your safe is a big feature to have as no other drone is weather proof.

Urs Clement likes this.
  9. Mateusz Hajdziony

Agree. I think that Freefly is missing the boat on lots of things. Their gear and support are great, but they seem unwilling to push just a bit further.

Alta already has GPS functions (return to home is actually a waypoint flight but with a single waypoint) so programming full waypoint support is not THAT much of work. Movi Controller is a great piece of hardware with a lot of design, programming, engineering and thought invested but... useless in most situations for me because of crap poor range. How much range are people getting with it? 50 meters? 100 meters? Come on it's useless for multicopter flight! Turnigy 9X from hobbyking can do 1km+ without any issues. $60 hobby controller vs $3500 piece of hardware for pros.

It's like putting years of work into a product only to stop at 95% of completion.

Besides, waypoint flight can actually be useful for aerial video too (sometimes).

10. Damien Boley

Damien Boley New Member

I have been working on an add-on for Alta and most any UAV that will allow for waypoints and other co-auto pilot features. I have developed a flight log book and we also upload data from the Alta to the cloud and logbook while in flight.
    If you are interested please let me know.

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

12. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

Don't forget that ALTA has no connection to the gimbal. Waypoint flights without controlling
    the Camera makes no sense.
    ALTA and the MoVI are different in design and not built with waypoint flying in mind.

I wouldn't use such a big drone for that, btw...

13. Ian Cresswell

Ian Cresswell New Member

I disagree. Waypoint flying is very important to me, even without camera control. Important enough to make the Alta a no-buy for me unless it has waypoint control.

14. Dave King

I disagree. I have been doing mapping all year with my Mikrokopter rig and a Movi with 5D. All I do is set the camera to point straight down that's all that's needed.

15. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Would it make more sense to build your own customized mapping rig? a large rotor, endurance beast specific for small body dslrs? Nowadays guys are building large endurance based non-cinema rigs with 1 hour flight times able to fly small body dslrs like the gh4. For me this would be a fun build!

Rolf Ableiter likes this.
  16. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

and i wouldn't use a MoVI for this. i would use a lightweight servogimbal.

But sure it would be nice to have simple waypoints with the ALTA. Fly from point a (height x) to point b (height y) with speed z would be nice. With RTH you can use the RTH spot as the end position but you'll loose your failsafe for this.

17. Dave King

I sorta have that with the MK rig and like I mentioned would prefer a more portable, durable, and weather proof rig. Larger flight times are not of a concern to me because I can cover about 20 acres in a 18 minute flight as it is. Doing any more would mean that i would need to start doing flights that were on the border line of being out of line of site which is something I don't want to do and is not permitted anyway.

18. Howard Dapp

It would be a low kv higher voltage (8s or 12s) copter with 26" or larger props. Simple folding frame design...i'm getting all excited in my mind :)

**Waterproofing and portability are the easy part of the build!

19. Howard Dapp

Dave are you exempt and have a pilot's license?

My question is, out of curiosity, if you already have that and it's working, why would you want to use such a sexy machine like an alta for that?

Idk, maybe FF are being very cautious about opening up the full capability of alta. I think they may come around later, like Tabb did regarding multi-rotors back in '10 as the ultimate aerial filming copter :) :)

20. Dave King

Howard working on the pilots license right now, taking the written test this week. I hope to have the license early next month. I have my copters filed and have N numbers. I will be doing most of the waypoint flying for surveying and mapping and will be doing this in all different types of weather. If I'm doing mapping on a fully cloudy day it would be nice to know if I don't have to worry about the copter if its starts raining especially if its 300 meters away. I will be doing work for a news station as well and they also will want to be flying in different types of weather so having the alta to handle both tasks would be great.