/dist/images/branding/favicon

Who rents your Movi M10?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Adam Brennan, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I just bought my Movi M10 and looking forward to using it. I would be using for everything I do so I was thinking about renting it out locally to help pay for it since it came with a hefty price tag. I am going to check with my insurance company about loss, but anyone in here do this? Just curious the in's and out's of it.

I have not even taken it out of the box yet, but will be.

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hi Adam,

Congrats on your MoVI M10 purchase! I received my M10 back in October '13 and it has been an amazing tool and so far, a great investment. Here's what I'd suggest before renting your MoVI out.

1. Get a case made for it. There's other threads that discuss companies that make MoVI M10 cases. I believe one is called Cinema Oxide. In LA there's companies that make film equipment cases like InnerSpace Cases, A&J Cases and Master Cases. The case will get beat up so don't fall in love with it!

2. Take pictures of all your gear, including the serial numbers. Mostly, you'll need the serial number from the MoVI M10, Spektrum DX7 remote and your tablet. If you take or rent your MoVI to a production that leaves the country, it will be handy to have the serial numbers for the carnet list you have to fill out when you travel abroad with film equipment. Also, keeping an excel list (or similar) with all your equipment will help you remember what you rented out and what you own.

3. It sounds like you already have your MoVI insured, so you're off to a great start. If you decide to rent out your M10 to someone or a production, make sure they name you and your address as additionally insured/loss payee on their insurance. It doesn't take long for them to have your name/address added to their insurance and they should send you a PDF with this information on it. Once you receive it, your name/address should appear on the lower left hand corner of the document. Always call the insurance company and verify the information is correct and that you'll be covered for the duration of the rental.

4. QC (quality control, IE check) your MoVI before sending it out again! I understand turn-arounds can be the same day but QCing your MoVI will avoid confusion if it comes back broken or with something missing.

5. This step might be over-kill but consider investing in an invoicing program. This investment will help you keep track of who's paid and who has an outstanding invoice.

6. If you live somewhere where there's camera rental houses, you may consider consigning your MoVI to a rental house. They'll usually give you an insurance cert naming you as additionally insured/loss payee and you won't have to worry about steps 3 & 4.

I hope this helps and good luck!

-K

3. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

That's a great response Kurt. This is like a step-by-step for how to properly take ownership of your Movi and make money from it.

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Thank you Kurt for taking the time to write. Good advice. Right now I am being a bit selfish with it. :)