Which HD wireless are people gonna use?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 6, 2016.

1. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Gonna be running two Movi Pro setups for an upcoming string of jobs. I have a connex for my aerial gimbal cause transmitter fan noise is obviously a non-issue.

On the other gimbal need more range than an arrow-X, or else I would use it.

Teradek has two new Bolt units, both with-out the option of nice, sidekick receivers. So I would have to buy receivers but would be looking to replace 1of 2 with a sidekick when available. Their 1000ft is prob enough, but twice the money for three times the performance (3000ft for 10k as opposed to 1000ft for 5k) sounds real nice, especially since more productions are looking for range like this. Wouldnt hurt my upcoming gig's output either.

ok sorry here is question... should I buy the Teradek 3000? Am I right that buying the 1000 is likely not a very future conscious decision? Competitors will hopefully respond, so a cheaper 3000 is coming, likely giving me buyers remorse if I went with 1000. . . .

Teradek kinda screwed their Bolt 2000ft customers with this release, and I heard they were being misleading about it. I get thats the price of business with a lot of subsidiaries, but anyone have experience? Will they definitely screw me over with no sidekick/lack of support/undercutting releases?

Is there competition in this price range besides the tomahawk, which very quickly looks dated with this new Teradek release. Any future plans on one?

I will be taking my time until the shipping of Movi Pros (mid november) with this decision just in case Freefly releases a batch of cables or chargers i need to be able to afford lol. Any input appreciated.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Sebastian, I've had the Tomahawk 1:2 SDI for over 6 months and it's been really good. Not doing aerial work, just studio and location shooting with the Movi.

Teradek and Paralinx are both owned by Vitec, and they all use the same chipsets (from Amimon?). I also have an original Teradek Bolt that still works very well.

Honestly, with accessories, it's hard to get a lot more $$ for the rental from clients. I like having solid gear that works, and having two receivers (one for my AC and one for Video Village\VTR) is very convenient. 1000', 2000', 3000', 5000' -- not sure it really matters in a handheld situation. How far away are these things really working, anyway? Not what they advertise. I just want it to be easy and convenient.

I think the Aerial application is more dependent on the long range than the Handheld\Crane\Vehicle based Movi. I'm rarely that far away from the receivers, and if Production is adamant about having a reliable wireless video at long-distance, let them get a good VTR guy and rent something more robust, like Microwave or Teradek Bond.

And I'm still thinking a 4K transmitter will come along sometime... but hopefully my need for it is several years off. :)

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

heard. good advice. and ur right, Amimon is the maker of those chips.

so fears about teradek aside, new bolt 1000 looks like a winner.

ill hold off on 2nd receiver till they give a timeline on new sidekick receiver.

If 4k monitoring becomes a necessity anytime soon, i'm switching to Acting.:mad:

Graham Futerfas likes this.