/dist/images/branding/favicon

which FF system is recommended?

Discussion in 'Follow Focus' started by Albert Chang, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

guys,
    it may sounds like a stupid question, since so many of "pro" users are on this forums.
    we as a team has been filming using basic stuffs, and now we are getting ready to step up.

ordering the Movi is step 1, but now there are so many other items now on our shopping list.

it seems there are different types of FF system, and we are looking for some advisement on the wireless / remote FF system.
    on the photos posted here, seems that everyone is using Redrock micro.
    does anyone has any other alternatives?
    because with the Redrock, we are still pending if there is an iPhone integration system that can be ordered...

and with their focusing system, the fingerwheel vs. the hand controller... boy boy boy... so many options...

we just want to learn more and hoping to understand what's the best option for our usage...

please advise...

thank you all in advance.

albert

2. Bob Gilles

Bob Gilles New Member

2 Issues for Movi users, weight and price. The Red Rock can use small batteries or cam power, but it can take as long as 6 montihs to order one. The Bartech is good with cam power and is about the same price with really good delivery time, so I am going to put my vote in for the Bartech digi system.

3. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

Bob,
    thanks... i put my hands on a set of RRM FF system about a week ago... got lucky walked into a store and they carry stock...
    now the challenge is the motor does not have enough torque to push some of the larger or stiffer lens we had. so i am thinking of getting Heden M26VE, which it has more torque than the RRM. But until today, i have not try the RRM base station + Heden Motor combination.
    We will have another opportunity to try this combo next week and will keep you posted..

albert

4. Sean Harris

Sean Harris New Member

I like Bartech/Heden

5. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

sean, actually after used RRM for 2 week, i am in the progress to move to Bartech/Heden combo...

6. Sean Harris

Sean Harris New Member

I think the RRM "Torque" isnt all that torquey;) However, the lowest torque setting on the Heden turned my Red 18-85mm Zoom with no issues!
    Take care

7. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

sean, that's exactly the reason i am thinking about switching... but then i was researching, it apparently that RRM base station can drive the heden... in that case, i have no issue with the remote, except the torque...

8. Sean Harris

Sean Harris New Member

Albert, if that is true you may be golden. I chose the Bartech because it is sort of a standard (at least around here), robust, and you can talk to Jim .. the owner of Bartech. I wonder how tough the RRM is? maybe I have spent too much, but a Preston system is really a lot more.

9. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Hey guys,

If you're looking for something a little torquier than our motor, you can pretty much use any other digital motor available today. I've personally used the Heden 26VE, the Digital M-One Motor from Palomar, and the Preston DM2 with the microRemote System.

The Redrock Torque motor runs pretty much on all the well maintained cinema lenses I've use, but if I need a bit more torque (which really just translates into faster speeds at this point) I'll jump on the M-One. The thing I love about our motor is it's light, 170g, and that's just a trade off you'll make with the bigger motors.

I've even used our torque motor with a Preston MDR as the Iris Motor on a particularly sticky Cooke 20-100, so it's definitely a good motor to have around since it's pretty universal.

What's really nice is that we use standard the 7-Pin configuration, which means you can simply unplug our motor and plug in the motors mentioned above without any adapters of fuss.

And Bob, I don't think we've ever had a customer wait 6 months (with the exception of the initial "waiting time" when the product was still being developed but not sold). Our standard lead time is 30 Business Days, which turns out to about 6 Calendar Weeks.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And RedRock is now in the MoVI store.

Welcome to the forums Loren.

11. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

12. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

i looked both Heden 26VE and the Digital M-One Motor, seems pretty equal in overall build and construction.
    part of the reason i am still leaning on Heden is that i have tried Heden and have not put my hand on the M-One yet.
    sometime it's really about using it...
    i was very much sold on the RRM remote... (still like it for light use), but when it comes down driving the stiff lens, it becomes a challenge.
    the production team was not so "pleased" with the RRM we had and rented a Heden and made it better...
    i guess at this point, both are good options.... see if i can put my hands on M-One soon...

13. TROU BAYLISS

TROU BAYLISS Member

JAG 35 $1300 1000 ft range

...anyone know bout this one ?? cheers TROU

14. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Axis 1 is very good on the Movi. It's a professional controller and the system works well. Most importantly, the Focus Pullers like it.

15. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

I ordered a RRM microRemote & FingerWheel to go with my Movi M5 a couple months ago! Should be here any day now! With all the FF systems I researched it seems to be the best system for the price... and the nicest one I could afford.

Besides RedRock I looked at the Bartech Focus Device ( BFD ) however it was almost as much as the RRM and did not include a motor. Everyone seems to be posting about better motors than the RRM so I looked up a few motors by Heden, Palomar, Preston and a couple others. All the motors I found were again nearly as much as a full RRM system. I have heard good things about the BFD and that it's a rock solid piece but I just can't justify spending that much on a transmitter & receiver and still have to buy a motor though. Just for kicks I also looked up focus systems by Arri, Axis by Hocus, C Motion, RT Motion & VariZoom. All of which were twice the price if not up to 5x that of the microRemote!

I remembered once seeing a focus system by Jag35. I recently revisited their website to find out they no longer sell a wireless focus system. My guess is that it couldn't have been very good to start with and they had to discontinue it. I even searched for wireless follow focus systems on ebay which appears to be flooded with a name brand called Wondland? I've never heard of them or seen such a bulky system before! There's also several indie & DIY kits out there. One of the most talked about right now is the Lenzhound. I'm not really one to trust indie or diy type systems though as they're usually just good enough to get by with and not much for speed, quality or durability.

When I first started looking at focus systems I thought you had to spend several thousands to get one worth anything. I've seen several people bash the RRM system but it seems to be those use to focus systems costing 2x to 10x more than the microRemote. By comparison I'm sure they are better systems just like I'm sure the RRM will stomp the Lenzhound and all other indie made and diy focus kits out there. True the RRM isn't going to compete against a system costing 10x the price but that doesn't mean it's not usable! I'm actually pretty excited to finally get my hands on a microRemote! It all just goes back to you get what you pay for.

16. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I think RRM might be a little heavy on a multicopter. Has anyone tried this thingy from Kopterworx?

http://kopterworx.com/servo-follow-focus.html

I just want something that I can correct the focus in the air with. This probably would be the lightest solution. Any alternatives out there?

17. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

Tuukka
    It looks like that arm holds a standard servo and that servo should be able to be assigned to a remote.
    One issue with a servo is it's not going to be as smooth as a motor. But if you are just looking to make a quick adjustment, this should work.

18. Johnny Lawrence

Johnny Lawrence New Member

I have used both the RT motion and the arri single channel LCS, both have very light receiver units which is useful for keeping weight down. I'm not a fan of the Cmotion or Preston receiver units however, way too heavy.

19. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Heden Carat is my go to choice as an operator and renter of the M5 and M10. Lightweight and super responsive. The torque is perfect as well with no bad results. My choice for sure.

20. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Is anyone actually using follow focus on a copter outdoors? I'm having trouble seeing when it is really worth the trouble.