What is Smartpod?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Frank Algermissen, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Sorry guys but what the hell is the "Smartpod" modus?

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

See FAQ #17 please Frank.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Frank Algermissen

Ahh, I see, thx. But is this a useful function?! For me it makes no sense to watch on my  Watch while having a gimbal in my hand. And especially when not beeing able to use the MOVI App with all the connections for motor etc. why should I use it then? Sorry to ask, but I don't see the usecase.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm speculating, but I assume it's just to provide remote triggering using the iWatch/iPhone BLE RF link (not sure of the maximum range of that) when you want to be in the shot (selfie?)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Frank Algermissen

Yes but makes less sense. To get the optimum of the MOVI you have to use the MOVI App - right? When using a third party App I don't benefit from the gimbal functions... You know what I mean?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Frank:
    Yes, I certainly do understand. Speaking not as an FF employee (I'm only a volunteer), I would be very surprised if FF was not at least thinking about third party apps and Movi CR -- I'm certainly not privy to any of that thinking or any of the cost/benefit analyses that such thinking is likely to engender.

The Movi CR is a product for a market segment that FF has not hitherto been in, and therefore, again not speaking for FF in any way, shape, or form, this is version 1.00 of the Movi, so it will be interesting to see what future versions might bring -- but I can understand why initially a company such as FF would want to launch the product with its own app -- if nothing else, I would imagine that so doing means that technical support is so much easier when you have control over the entire source code for the system.

I suspect we might be in agreement on that, given your role as Product Manager for Digital Marketing -- I infer you have probably created more cost/benefit analyses than I have had hot dinners (to use a Britishism).

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Frank Algermissen

Hi Andy,

I understand "...that so doing means that technical support is so much easier when you have control over the entire source code for the system." But the consequences are on the other side to also orient to some established standards out there. I definitely prefer "inhouse", absolutely. But keep in mind what we all miss on real basics in the App to work properly.

What I want to say is: leave "gimmicks" which are more a workaround than a real benefit (Smartpod), focus on the important things like hardware (record button) and especially software (focus tracking, ISO/Shutter/WB/Focus lock, etc.)