/dist/images/branding/favicon

What are you using for a ground side monitor

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Gary Haynes, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I've got a Pyle PL9 and while it is inexpensive just isn't really bright enough outdoors even with my home made hood.

So what are you using and how does it do in the bright outdoors? I see that MK/QC has a new monitor that can even hold the Ifrtron recv. QC did a short video but didn't show to much of the screen.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Right now, Small HD DP6's with sunshields. I have DP7 HB-SX's on order (1200 Nits) on order. Should be sunlight viewable.
    But I've also discovered that Cinemizer's look pretty good for FPV -- I can wear them with eyeglasses and they sit in the lower half of my field of view (where the, cough, bi-focal part goes....)

Andy.

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Foxtech 8" monitors are a killer deal and have served me well. I haven't used the full brightness for fear of being blinded. :)

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Saw the Foxtech as I searched the net. Ordered one today. Shoot the shipping was 25% of the total cost. Another one I found over on the mikrokopter wiki is the Lilliput 7 inch. It claims 450nit like the Foxtech but is more expensive.

5. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Yeah, I know. That's why I order two at a time. :)

The lilliput are pretty good but not sure if they will show through static or go to blue screen. This is the most important feature for an fpv monitor, and the sole reason I found my copter after a 3 mile flyaway.

Just note that you will have to send a PAL signal to the monitor at first to get into the menu to switch to NTSC.

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I bought a couple of these from B&H. It has a 450 brightness rating which is plenty bright for outside (especially with a hood). The new ones from Small HD (DP7s) are going to be amazingly bright if you buy the high brightness version but I think they are going to be around $2600. The Small HD AC7 line has one you can get for about $600 with a 400 brightness rating. I've been really happy with the Marshall and it uses Canon LP-E6 batteries (or you can get it with Nikon or other battery plates if you prefer) so it is super convenient with power since I shoot with a 5D Mark ii.

I have one mounted to my MX-20 and another one mounted to a handle from Red Rock Micro that a client or other observer can hold and see the live view from the camera.

I also have QC's pelican case viewing station that mounts to a tripod but found myself favoring these for convenience and flexibility for the client - and I like having one mounted to the radio.

I have used Pyle in the past and have that in the pelican case - they were never very good and go blue all the time. The MK/QC one with the brackets has a much lower brightness rating. I would have liked the built in clips for receiver and battery but have come up with my own solution for that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ectronics_M_CT7_CE6_7_CAMERA_TOP_MONITOR.html

7. Philip Ellerbroek

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

So here's a pic of the Foxtech 8inch monitor. Bright sunlight hitting it, setting sun. The lines in the screen are probably from the protective film and not seen with the MkI eyeball unit. There are 6 default brightness settings using the up/down arrows. This is on level 4 up from darkest to lightest. The hood comes with the unit. Price was $141 with shipping. Got it in about 7 days after ordering. IMG_1180-2.jpg

If someone gets the monitor with the 5.8ghz built in maybe they can post something similar.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks good.

What's "sun light?" We are currently have weather in Oregon best described as "bleeeecht."

The lines are moiré patterns caused by the interference of the pixels on the Foxtech screen with the pixels on your camera sensor.
    You can usually get rid of them if you move slightly closer or further away. The perils of being digital.... :)

Andy.