/dist/images/branding/favicon

What are the differences between 4s and 6s batteries?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Raul Salamanca, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Raul Salamanca

Raul Salamanca New Member

HI,

What are the differences between 4S and 6S batteries? If I use a 4S batteries in Cinestar 8, there is a problem? which is the benefit of using 6S?

Thanks

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Raul: The benefits become more obvious when you consider electrical power (and I'm going to write in general terms that might make an electrical engineer cringe) -- measured in Watts. Watts are volts x amps. So the higher voltage (of 6S version 4S) delivers more power for the same or less amps.

This means that you pull a lower current from the battery, and switch a lower current through the electronic speed controllers, and lower current flows through the motors.

More the point, the heating effect of electricity is proportional to the square of the current -- so if you can get the same work done for less current, then everything stays cooler.

Downside: 6S batteries typically tend to be heavier and more expensive.

Hope this helps
    Andy.

3. Raul Salamanca

Raul Salamanca New Member

Okay. Thank you very much for your answer. I understood perfectly

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

And to clarify what Andy said, a 6S system might be able run on 4S, but a 4S system might not be able to run on 6S. Be careful with this as you can cause serious damage if you get that wrong.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Other considerations. Type of motor, size of props, voltages that your flight control system can handle and the list goes on....