/dist/images/branding/favicon

Weird Time Lapse Issue (Bug?) With GH3 and HDMI

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Steve Maller, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

One of the reasons I got the GH3 was to be able to have a built-in intervalometer so that I can shoot stills without worrying about carrying an external device like I do on my 5D Mark III bodies. I discovered something odd, although I did find a workaround.

As far as I can tell, if you have an HDMI cable plugged in, the camera wants to stay in 16:9 mode, and won't allow me to switch to 3:2 (5D aspect ratio) or 4:3 (native sensor size). The menu selection is dimmed on the GH3. The workaround seems to be to disconnect the HDMI cable, but of course that eliminates my downlink on the Cinestar.

Can anybody confirm this? And has anybody found a better workaround?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't you hate these kind of "feechurs?"
    Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Heard that elsewhere and didn't hear of a workaround. Clearly Panasonic 'knows' that if you want HDMI you 'want' 16:9.

4. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Best option we've had is using the Stratosnapper. I know it's one more "thing" to have on the rig but losing the downlink is a pain. Especially when framing a shot, etc.

5. Steve Maller

The Stratosnapper won't solve this problem. The issue is with the HDMI output sticking the camera in 16:9 mode. It doesn't affect my video work, as that's what I shoot in, but for stills, I prefer 3:2 format.

6. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Ah, I see. Hopefully Panasonic will fix or one of the supposed hacks will allow you to adjust.

7. Steve Maller

Just found this little nugget in the User Manual: "Do not connect the AV cable (optional), the HDMI mini cable (optional), or the USB connection cable (supplied) during Time Lapse Shooting." :mad:

8. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

What if you attach a small FPV cam on the gimbal to frame the shot? Place it so it corresponds with your main camera... Obviously requires a little more work than just sticking in place but then you can keep your 3:2 ratio and still get an idea of what the shot will look like. Cinemizers could be good here?!

9. Steve Maller

I may just go back to using the 5D Mark III for stills.

10. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Can't complain about the 5D Mark III. Although, I do love the weight of the GH3!

11. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Before i made the cables needed to pull video from the camera i was using, dont have a HDMI converter yet, this is how i did my shots. I would put the camera in live view and matchup what my FPV camera was seeing to what the main camera was seeing.

12. Steve Maller

The FPV camera hack would work if not for the ability to manually tilt the gimbal in the air (which I use constantly). That makes it useless (to me).

13. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I put the FPV camera on the bar that the main camera attaches to, that allows to me see what the camera is seeing.

14. Steve Maller

I think I'll just use the 5D Mark III instead. Better stills quality, anyway. ;)