/dist/images/branding/favicon

Weird Tilt Behaviour

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Wolfgang Armin, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi people,
    I´m having my first real MoVI issue. I´ve bought a Sony a7s, and mounted it with a 50mm 1.8 and a Redrock Follow Focus (OK, that´s not a real pro setup I need to admit ;)) to the M10. Balanced it, configured it (tilt stiffness with 7 is really low) and suddenly I see a tilt behaviour I´ve never seen before. It seems there is some kind of delayed reaction to my movements, and the image is very shaky, when I tilt the MoVI quickly up and down.
    I don´t know if there was any other coincidence that lead to this, but this has never happened before.
    I´ve just made a short video to show you how it looks like:

The weird thing is: it doesn´t change no matter what tilt mode, tilt smoothing or tilt window I choose.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer ;)

2. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Are all moving parts and screw all properly tightened? Is it properly balanced? It seems tilt i slipping and then catches up after slipping. It might be the stifness too low, but it is difficult to say without actually testing it. Or might be a fault but I would rule out all possibilties. I would ask an experienced local user...if not freflytech support.

3. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

No idea, sorry, but if you make a ticket and get repairs/help from FF, please post the results so we know why happened. Thanks,

4. Wolfgang Armin

Hi guys,
    thanks for your feedback. Screws are tightened well, and I just made some more tests. The problem seems to be the follow focus. I unmount and rebalance everything and use the bare Sony a7s, and it works fine, I also get higher tilt stiffness. When I add the follow focus and rebalance, without using the cables, I start getting problems. Especially when tilting up, the MoVI starts oscillating pretty heavily while being silent when tilting down or pointing forward.
    My conclusion would be that the way I attach the FF is bad for the light weight of the camera. I use Redrocks Gimbal Rail Clamp, which makes the system pretty head heavy. I know it shouldn´t because it is balanced, but that would be my only idea.
    Unfortunately I can´t use freeflys rod mount adapter because the lens is very short and the lens gear would block on the quick release. I´ll try to find another solution to mount it and keep you updated.

5. Wolfgang Armin

I just received a message from Chris from Freefly Support. Great customer service!!! He gave me some tips and I´ll work through them in the next few days, and try to keep you posted on the progress with the a7s. Thanks, guys!

6. Chris mierzwinski

What sort of tips and exanation did you get?

7. Wolfgang Armin

I still need to get through all the points. Haven´t had time yet and I´m not at the right computer right now.

8. Chris mierzwinski

That's cool whenever you can. I'd be good info to share for everyone.