/dist/images/branding/favicon

Weight of your Movi setups in the air?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Ben Hensley, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Ben Hensley

Ben Hensley New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm new here! Not new to drones though. I've been contemplating buying an Alta 6 and was wondering if I could get some input on what your gimbal weight is with what camera and lensing you are using to help try and determine if an Alta 6 will be adequate for me. I live in CO and we are at about 6000' MSL so I'm worried our RED set up may be too much for it.

Thanks for any input!

Also I've been reading through quite a bit and Andy, You're a legend man. Always helping people and rarely getting a thank you! I just want to say your awesome!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Ben. Much appreciated. Sorry I can't answer your question, but dollars to donuts other forum members will!

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

Colorado on a 100º F day is going to be a problem for an Alta 6 even if you are flying something like a TERRA 4K or a Sony A6500. The Terra 4K is only 2.1 lb (990 g) so combining that with an SLR Magic Cine 35mm f/1.2 FE Lens for Sony E-Mount lens and you will probably be OK most of the time but high hot and heavy is a deadly combination you should avoid.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro that I flew near Yosemite last summer at 8,000 MSL on a 90º day and it had so much trouble that I landed immediately. Just like flying a real airplane or helicopter, Denver on a hot day is a bucket of worms for just about anything that is not turbocharged or powered by a turbine.

If it were me and most of my filming was going to be at or above 5000' I would get the Alta 8. If you go with the 6 you will have to be a lot more careful with the load you carry and the days you fly. This advice comes from a Commercial, Instrument, SEL, MEL, CFI pilot with more 50 years and 9,000+ hours in over 60 types of aircraft that made his first solo on April 26, 1965, from the Jefferson County airport near Boulder, CO in a Luscombe 8E and spent years flying in the mountains. You can do it with limited horsepower but you have to be very careful and you can not fly when it is hot and the winds are gusting.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Methinks you know whereof you speak, Rick! :)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert