/dist/images/branding/favicon

Waypoint flying, camera angle problem

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jean Gabriel Taboada, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi,

I am making a photostitch of 40km of a local river where theres some work being done, this is a public contract, i have MK with commercial licence for 500mt waypoint flying, so my first approach was to have our pilot fly straight over the river while i took pictures from a barge. that didnt work because we have to take pics from at least 100mts high in order to get the whole river, and thats to high to fly safley in manual mode. next we tried flying waypoints throughout the river while following the kopter from the barge, so we i marked the waypoints using google earth and started flying the missions, google is off by at least 15 meters so the kopter wasnt dead on center with the river. finally we navigated the whole river with the kopter on and marking waypoints with the koptertool OSD. yesterday we went back and flew about 4km of missions, its a very tedious affair because every 500mts i have to land change battery and go up again, but that will do for now. i mounted a sony nex6 for the pictures and a Gopro 3 black for the video next to, but then i found out that i could male a photostich out of a video, so i am now only recording video on the nex and then processing for photostitch.

yesterday was our first session using the waypoint recorded by us, and everythng worked great, except that when the kopter is flying from waypoint to waypoint the camera isnt estabilized, it just completelly tilts until it reaches the next waypoint, when it reaches the waypoint it stabilizes. I set the waypoint flying so that boom one is always pointing to the next waypoint, so if im am flying from wp1 to wp2 id have the same altitud, heading from wp1 to wp2 i put p2 so when it goes from wp1 to wp2 it would be facing wp2, and cam angle is 90 degrees, facing comletelly down, the problem is that when it flies from wp1 to wp2 the camera the camera tilts and it looks like it would be facing completelly down but, so if we where talking axis, on the tilt axis its always 90 degress and in the tilt axis, when it starts flying it will be like 70 degress while the camera should be 45 degress always. this is making all our work useles. do you think I have the mk stabilization too slow? or is it that when its flying from wp1 to wp2 it wont stabilize because it thinks its not doing anything until it gets to the next waypoint?

also any other suggestion as to how i can change my approach to this proyect to make it a lillte less tedious. i am working in one of the most poluted rivers in the world.

2. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Jean,
    What are you using to stabilise the gimbal? I'm running a 2-axis gimbal stabilised from the MK board, and it stabilises whilst in flight, it is just slow, or not as accurate as radians or MōVI.

I have just shot a series of images using waypoint flight and am creating an orthomosaic at the moment, which sounds similar to what you are doing, however I am using still images not video, as the resolution for the stills way outperforms an still that is taken from a video stream.

It will also depend on what speed you are flying between waypoints as well. I was flying at 5m/s between waypoints shooting a still every second, which appears to be providing the necessary overlap to create an orthomosaic.

What stabilisation, how fast are you flying, and how windy is it?

Cheers

Chris

3. Jean Gabriel Taboada

Hi Chris,

I am stabilizing with mk board. the proyect doesnt call for high resolution, and the results with video from the nex6 have been OK. I am taking apart and re assembling the gimbal altoghether and retightening and rebalancing everything, will report back tomorrow and tell you how it went.