/dist/images/branding/favicon

Vuzix Goggles for Sale

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Andrew Goodwin, May 1, 2013.

1. Andrew Goodwin

Hey, we bought an extra pair of the Vuzix 920 goggles that we ended up not needing as we can't legally do FPV in Canada. Brand new, never been used. List price: $349. Your price: Make an offer!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I can see why you might not be able to do FPV-only flights, but can you not even glance down at FPV on screen data?

Andy.

3. Andrew Goodwin

Technically? No.

It's very black and white, the legislation simply hasn't caught up with the technology. Our permit requires we have a third person who is constantly relaying OSD data to the pilot, who must always have line of sight. They don't seem to be in a big rush to change anything either.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I wear the Cinemizer's in front of my eyeglasses and lower down my nose....I always have line of sight by glancing up and FPV by glancing down. No need to refocus my eyes either. Much safer than relying just on line of sight. The Cinemizers only block my view of the ground four or five feet in front of me, the rest is pure line of sight.

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

From the CAA UAV SI 623-001 rules for an SFOC they have very clear wording:

The UAV shall continuously be kept within unaided visual line-of-sight of the UAV pilot, or
    observer(s);

And their definition of Unaided is even more explicit:

Visual contact Unaided (other than corrective lenses) direct visual observation of the
    UAV by a crew member.

So even looking down at a monitor could be interpreted as giving information to the pilot (i.e. aiding).

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the quotation Gary. It's curious wording, though -- it suggests that looking down at the RC transmitter screen would be "aiding" the pilot too.

Or do you think they might mean, "you have to keep it where you have it in visual line of sight of it if you are looking at it." :) Rather than "y'all have to have it in visual line of sight and y'all don't take your eyes off of it, y'heah...." (Sorry....don't where the Texas accent came from. :) )

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes they may interpret looking at the TX machine as having aid. So cover them up with black tape, put the transmitter in a black box with cutouts for your hands, never look to make sure you clicking the video switch and inadvertently turn off the TX. And whatever you do DONT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF THE UAV. (wonder if you are allowed to blink?)

Tongue in cheek answers.....