/dist/images/branding/favicon

Velocity Clamp or Climb rate clamp - which one is used most of the time?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rick Gerard, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

My transmitter, Futaba 10J, only has one knob (slider) that is continuously variable. I have mapped that switch to channel 8. The transmitter also only has 2 three position switches.

Until I pick up a transmitter with enough switches to control everything I would like your recommendations for what to leave off.

I do not think I will be using the Orbit function so that is an easy decision for not mapping a switch to Channel 10. I'm wondering whether I will want to use the velocity clamp more often than the climb rate clamp. I think it would require landing and at least remapping a switch to a different channel to switch between the two.

Now thinking about the Climb and Velocity clamps, if I put Climb on a two position switch it looks like I get either fast or slow which could be a problem so I probably should not assign Climb Rate to a two position switch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rick Gerard

45 views and no opinions. I think I'm going to just disable the climb clamp and set it using the app.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I suspect the issues are (a) not too many folks have been forced to contemplate this question (you're the first pilot I know of who's had to ponder this) and (b) it's obviously a very personal choice depending on your preferences and the kinds of shots you do.

If you plan to do any horizontal tracking shots where you follow people or vehicles, you will need to be able to vary the velocity clamp speed to match the tracked object. On the other hand, if you plan to do lots of "pedestal up/down" shots (vertical ascent/descent) shots, then you might want to opt for being able to control the climb velocity incrementally. You certainly don't want either them assigned to a two position switch though -- otherwise in their "off" position, unless you fly manually, you'll not be able to climb/descend or fly horizontally.

Sorry it's not a definitive answer, but I'm afraid there might not be one.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Rick Gerard

Thank you for your reply. That is kind of what I was thinking. If the weather will ever break I will go fly this thing. CA can use the moisture so I will not complain.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And just before anyone else points it out, I only do vertical shots where the ALTA is climbing -- if you try to do a vertical descent, it's hard for the ALTA/MoVI to take all the turbulent motion out as the ALTA descends into its own "dirty" air below it.

If I really need a descending shot I can often just play the ascending shot backwards. However, this does not work well if there's any obvious motion (waves, people, vehicles, birds etc), that would look really odd going backwards... in which case I do about an 80 degree descent so that the ALTA is always descending into "clean" air -- that's when having both the velocity and climb rate clamps is useful so that you can maintain a constant descent rate and a constant lateral rate too.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Rolands Zelders likes this.