/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using V-lock Batteries on M10 with EPIC

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

A little teaser for you Carey ;)

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

I like it.

Is there room to get the battery off the mount when on the MoVI?
    What about mounting it the opposite way, so the battery comes straight out?

3. Carey Lee Coffey

Wow, so there it is mounted horizontally! Not the prettiest thing in the world, but if it works and does not obstruct movement at all, I'm in!

1. Can it be mounted vertically, or no?

2. What is the weight on that battery and plate?

3. D tap? Never mind, I see the D Tap.

4 I like how it's flush with the camera at the top when horizontal.

Thanks for the update Tabb! Please let us know all the parts you used.

4. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

Awesome - great solution to power the Epic and accessories for a decent time

Question - from your experience is it essential to have your wireless transmitter (say Paralinx) off the camera and on the handles? Or could you have it on camera?

I'm imagining this v-lock powering the the Epic, follow focus and HDMI transmittor all on the camera body. Then a single red lemo long flexi cable to the handle where a Red LCD is mounted (providing full menu control over camera).
    That would be an awesome set-up

Brett Harrison likes this.
  5. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Wes, I don't think you want to put the transmitter on the gimbal, you're going to have a monitor on the handles crossbar anyway and you can power the transmitter off of that monitor's USB port.

6. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

If we aren't using the side handle to power the Epic then the RED monitor becomes a required interface. It's my understanding that the Paralinx is mounted to the camera along with the RedRock FF unit.

7. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Keep in mind the Paralinx works best line of sight, You will want to mount it up and away from everything else.

8. Carey Lee Coffey

The paralinx should work fine from the camera shelf.

9. Jonathan Stevenson

There's also the Redmote. Keep it nearby to change settings now and again. Shouldn't be a big hassle.

10. Jonathan Stevenson

It really does surprise me though that this is under the weight limit, especially once you got a lens and FF unit on there. What wattage is that IDX battery? Looks pretty small, so I guess that would help. The Red Bricks are like 3 damn pounds.

Edit: Looks to be this battery. B&H specs put the weight just barely over 1lb. I would guess you'd get about an hour out of that battery. Not bad at all!
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381930-REG/IDX_E_7S_E_7S_Endura_Lithium_Ion_V_Mount.html

11. Carey Lee Coffey

I plan to use both the touchscreen and the Redmote. I see no purpose for the side handle. It makes sense in theory for handheld in the smallest config, but I've never needed it in a real world situation.

12. Jonathan Stevenson

So, the IDX E-7S is a 68 watt battery. The epic draws about 60 watts during 5k recording. Will this battery be powerful enough to run both the camera and redrock? I'm assuming since Tabb is posting the image, they've likely tested this type of setup at some point? I have all the plates and mounting points necessary to make this setup work, just need to buy a few batteries!

13. Carey Lee Coffey

14. Philipp Meier

Philipp Meier Member

Couple of questions:

1) the Red touch monitor has a USB power out as well as an hdmi out for accessories like the paralinx? And power and signal are going to the monitor from the camera through just one cable?

2) if you decide to put the paralinx on the red itself, where would it and the red rocket ff hook up for power?

Sorry if these are n00b questions but I am in fact new to RED. Need a new camera this year and trying to decide if I should go with RED Dragon, or F55. To be honest I'm a bit scared of RED. Still hearing constant horror stories of the cameras acting up on set.

15. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

Very nice. Can you show us how you did this Tabb? Parts etc

16. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Wes, we made a Carbon adapter plate which allows you to mount the IDX plate. We will be offering both the plate as well as a IDX plate with custom EPIC power cable soon.

Tabb

17. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

They aren't horror stories. Just stories. Just cycling the power fixes any of the niggles I've seen pop up.

To the OP, great solution. Ours is out for a custom case, but we'll be building out a ton of "MoVI Certified" camera setups.

18. Christopher Barrett

19. Carey Lee Coffey

Tabb, does it work? If so, can you do a little video of the V Mount in action?

20. Jonathan Stevenson

My guess is that it will be too long. In the short time that I had with a demo unit, adding the +1 module onto the back of the Epic left only about 3 inches of clearance before the camera would hit the rear tilt bar. However, more weight on the back means sliding the camera plate forward, so maybe it'll still work. I don't know anyone that has one of these XL modules yet so it'll be hard to test.