/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using Movi Pro without a Camera

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Shalin Mehta, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Shalin Mehta

Shalin Mehta New Member

I'm trying to use a Movi Pro without a camera mounted. I emailed support asking for their advice on how to balance and tune the movi and they suggested adding 2-3 lbs before trying to tune.

Is this weight just for balancing the Movi properly or are there other reasons that I need to add weight? And is this the ideal weight to use a Movi without experiencing any jitters?

Thanks

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I've successfully booted the Movi up with no weight. It'll work ok. Why do you want to do so? Testing?

3. Shalin Mehta

Shalin Mehta New Member

Testing for right now. I might end up using a phone or other light device on it in the future.

Some more details:
    I have it the Movi Pro mounted to a heavy plate right now and I have added some weight to the camera rails as suggested. "Smooth Lock" and "Majestic Angle" seem to work when I move the plate. I also have a MIMIC that I've connected and the Movi follows my movements as expected.

Graham, how did you balance the Movi without any added weight? And did you have to adjust any of the tuning parameters (stiffness, filters, ...) or did you just use what Autotune provided?

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It's fine for testing simple things like you're doing. You won't damage it from too little weight.

I probably dropped the cage down on the tilt center of gravity axis so it was a bit bottom heavy, and that will kind of keep it in its proper orientation when you boot up.

Also probably did a quick manual tuning instead of auto tune. Settings around 10 on stiffness should be close.

Shalin Mehta likes this.
  5. Shalin Mehta

Shalin Mehta New Member

That worked amazingly well!

Thank you so much

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Shalin: And you'll find that MoVI Pro's batteries should last longer without anything on the gimbal! :D

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.