/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using an EasyRig with M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jonathan Stevenson, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Peter Barta

Peter Barta Member

Hi Movi Community,

I just wanted to give my two cents worth on the serene I've bought one and in no way have been paid to say anything other than what my experience is after seeing the prototype at NAB2014 with the idea I'd use it for a film 'San Andreas' and various commercials recently. I've had the Serene for the past two months as a beta tester and although it has now been updated and ever evolving by Konstantinos which I think is a big achievement it's to me the only tool that I'm currently using to support the weight of the Movi M10 by combining the easyrig support system.

I'm a believer that if you can use the Movi with brute strength that is how the tech has been designed, to Freefly! The problem is the way we film nowadays unlike the old film days we now roll on a shot forever, hence needing a support system and when the serene came out I was hooked. I already own two easyrigs plus an extended arm so I'm familiar with how my stamina is enhanced when doing static shots even with the Movi but I can't move otherwise it just doesn't work so I try to exercise and use my strength when possible but it's not the solution as we all know who operate one. I do use my PRO Steadicam arm on tracking shots with the Movi hard mounted but it's not ideal with a vest based on my experience. Most of my work is in remote mode either myself operating or the A/B camera Op or gripping the shot so trying to operate in majestic mode is not something I'm interested in or feel does the gear justice.

So now the Serene bridges the gap by allowing movement with its isoelastic arm with an easyrig similar to a Steadicam arm keeping everything simple and compact unlike some other designs which have their place but I feel are more restrictive for my type of work which is film & commercials. Please check out the above video post by Konstantinos and see for yourself first hand. I think it shows it's simple and isoelastic design which truly does work.

On a side note I've noticed that just like Steadicam the Movi needs practice and experience which some treat the Movi like some answer to a a quick career in moving images so please give it respect firstly and be great at it, just like steadicam it's an art, the thing that gives the Movi a bad name is bad balance, bad operating and bad composition!
    And lastly I laugh at the idea that the Movi is a Steadicam killer which has been spoken about before, steadicam is still No.1 the Movi has not killed it in any way at the higher end on film & commercials, I am a steadicam operator who's embraced the technology for what it is, another awesome tool which we are lucky to have so respect it people!

Fly safe

Peter Barta
    Camera - Steadicam - Mōvi
    www.peterbarta.com.au

2. Oliver Peng

Oliver Peng New Member

Hey Peter, would love to know what length EasyRig arm you use with the Serene?