/dist/images/branding/favicon

USB C Lightning cable options

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Steve Huether, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

So I'm planning to get a USB C to Lightning cable to allow charging the iPhone off the Movi when doing longer time-lapse moves. Want it to be really flexible, I'm thinking about 16" would be ideal. Probably going to pickup the Apple 1m one for now. While a bit longer than needed, it will work till I can find a better solution.

Anyone found an ideal one?

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I went looking for a USB to Lightning cable, and despite a pretty exhaustive search could not find a single one that was advertised as being particularly flexible. Unless this is a technical issue, I suspect that the reason is that people are kinda partial to robust cables.

During a recent visit to B&H, I asked whether someone makes an HDMI cable suitable for use with a gimbal. They told me there was exactly one, made - you guessed it - by Freefly. Some online comments on the Freefly cable say that its thinness/flexibility comes at the cost of being somewhat delicate. Not a surprise. Like everything, there’s a trade off.

It is possible that those of us looking for a highly flexible, but perhaps delicate USB to Lightning cable are in a very small minority :)

#2 Rorick Edge, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  3. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Thats the reason I'm going with an Apple one for now. They are usually good quality yet quite flexible. Picking one up tonight, We'll see how it goes.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Rorick: Might these work for you: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-ANTA...96&sr=8-2&keywords=lightning+to+usb+A+braided

My Amazon search term was: lightning usb-a braided

Being braided tends to imply that they are more flexible than the normal plastic ones.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh...I'm not sure whether you needed USB-C? In which case I searched for: lightning usb-c braided

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Rorick Edge

Hi Andy,

B&H also sells USB to Lightning braided cable. In both cases, these cables are not described as flexible (indeed, the word isn’t even used), but as “more durable”. I am not looking for more durable. I am looking for thin, light and flexible, even at the cost of durability.

I expect to receive Freefly’s HDMI cable tomorrow. If the gimbal experts at B&H are right, it’s exactly what people need for the Movi, except USB to Lightning. Don’t know whether it’s worth it for Freefly to make this product, which I gather would require an Apple license.

This is the Freefly HDMI cable that I’m talking about: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1223786-REG

It isn’t exactly cheap, so maybe a USB to Lightning equivalent would be profitable.

PS: In case anyone is wondering why I’m talking about an HDMI cable in connection with the Movi, I intend to use the Freefly HDMI cable to connect a Sony RX0, mounted on the Movi, to a Sound Devices 5” 1080p/4K recorder. Depending on circumstances, the recorder can be in a bag or on a Peak Design belt clip or connected to the Movi 1/4” 20 base mount.

Basically, I’m putting together a rig to use the Movi as the stabiliser for a Sony RX0 shooting both 1080p and 4K.

#6 Rorick Edge, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, "braided" only tends to imply flexible. It's held true for several of the cables I've purchased, but I don't know whether it's a general truth.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

8. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I've had a lot of braided lightning cables in the past, from various manufacturers, and most have still been less flexible than the Apple branded ones. Its more about quality of materials, and thats a tough thing to judge without hands on. Thanks for the help, the quest for the perfect cable continues!! lol

9. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Picked up the Apple USB C to Lightning 1m cable yesterday and its works great. Would be nice if it was shorter but it will work for now. It doesn't see to inhibit the gimbal operation at all. Also can confirm, charging phone from Movi USB C port works great.

10. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

11. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I've been eyeing a couple of their watch straps and the wireless charger... maybe its time to buy some! Thanks lol

I do wish they made a USB C to Lightning cable without the adapter plug. The 0.3m would be nearly perfect length

12. Rorick Edge

I have now received Freefly’s HDMI cable for use with gimbals. It is significantly thinner and more flexible than any other HDMI cable that I’ve seen.

If Freefly decides to offer a USB to Lightning cable that is similar, I’ll buy it in a second.

13. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Awesome!! Here’s hoping they do, I’m sure they’d make it the perfect length too.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member