/dist/images/branding/favicon

Upgrading motors/power system and backup helicopters

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Sean Haverstock, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Sean Haverstock

Ok. So I got some questions. I am running Tmotor 2814-11s, FF motor control set, with WKM and 4s. I want to upgrade my motors to carry a 5D/D800 comfortably withOUT having to upgrade the power system simultaneously. The battery upgrades will be more than the motors. From the forums, an email with Jim at monto and a few hours in Ecalc it doesn't look like that is a very attainable goal. It doesn't look like there are motors that will run 4s and 6s very well when give similar inputs in ecalc.

Does anyone have experience upgrading to a heavy or heavier lift motor such as Tmotor MN4014-9 or MT3515 and staying on 4s, then later upgrading the power system? TMotor tech specs show lipo ranges of 3/4s to 8s but the numbers don't work in Ecalc.

And this brings me to a larger question of backup helicopters. Are folks who have say 1 HL (6s) multi, also traveling with a backup that maybe runs on 4s? It seems like many people might be in this scenario but the amount of Lipos to travel with would be daunting. Are people just not traveling with backups often? I know some clients may that I travel with backups!

Thanks!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sean look up Josh Lambeth's heavy build thread on the forum with 3515's. I wouldn't run 6S with the 2814's. For HL they just won't get what you want and likely would be stressed on 6S. The folks I know doing this pretty much full time have full backups generally of the same model so that there is no difference.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The concept of a backup system in my mind is pointless if the parts can't be interchanged. I've just as often used backups as part sources as live backups. That said, I do not have a second airframe yet for my AP work, but I would anticipate doing that once things ramp up further. My best example of this is my camera gear, where at one time I had a Canon 1Ds Mark III and a 5D Mark II, which was a stupid mistake on my part because, aside from lenses and flashes, the cameras couldn't use each others' stuff (batteries, Wifi, etc.). So now I have two 5D Mark III bodies, and it works great for my event and studio photography.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve is spot on. I was thinking high end like someone working on a film set. You won't have time to fix something. They want you flying and won't generally accept stopping for very long. Same reason that Steve has 2 camera bodies or a cinematographer has some type of backup camera body. Really boils down to how you a planning to use your gear and types of customers you plan to have and their tolerance for filming RIGHT NOW!

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

The 3515's will NOT work on 4s. 5s is the limit on those motors. With 5s batteries and a 5dMKII I am at 75% power to hover. 6s I'm at 50%. I tried a 4s and it won't even take off at full power.

Josh