/dist/images/branding/favicon

Upgrade cinestar 8

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Alberto Restrepo, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Alberto Restrepo

I need to know if the motherboard (Okto XL Power Distribution) that controls my Cinestar 8 will support the upgraded engines, propellers and booms in order to turn it into Heavy Lift. Which are the largest engines that this motherboard supports? Which is the maximum capacity of current (amperes?) it supports?

In other words, what do I need to upgrade it?

Thank you

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Alberto with modification you can run 5S batteries. Current is stated at 35amps. But most of us see the temps, max 100c before they start to throttle down, being the limiter.

But the answer is more complicated. What is your definition of an HL? What do you want to carry, how much overall weight, you may need to replace the booms with longer ones to accommodate larger diameter props. You may need to go to a different power distribution system, individual ESC's and flight controller.

3. Alberto Restrepo

I want to lift the Red Epic. And a Gimbal with good brushless motors to do it so. Which motors could i need?

Alberto

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

What are you using for a Flight Control system?

5. Alberto Restrepo

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Alberto if you stay with MK you are limited. Several folks here on the forum, look up Josh Lambeth's thread on his build, rebuilt with 500mm booms, 15x5 props, MT3515 motors, Castle Ice or some other brand of ESC, new power distribution board (home made to store bought), 6S batteries. To use the MK stack you install an I2C converter like the Abusemark. In you part of the world a good contact would be Thiago Kraus at Drones4You.com out of Brazil.

Freefly has an HL in development. The Freefly Motor Set is the power distribution board and esc's as a set. I run those and they are nearly plug and play. Freefly has announced a new flight controller, the Synapse, which Tabb has said should be shipping yet this year. They also announced the F45 series of 6S motors. So depending on your time frame you may have a choice that should work seamlessly together.

Tiger announced the Navigator series of motors. For 6S the specs on the MN4012-9 seem to be ideal. I know of someone building a copter now and am just waiting to get some feedback.

The weak spot in the MK setup for heavy lift seems to be the PDB and BL's. They seem to handle the current level just fine but tend to heat up rapidly. Operators in places like Phoenix, AZ in the summer were pretty much grounded when temps got past the 90F mark. Replacing with stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph solved the problem and they have no issue with lifting RED's.

Hope this helps.