/dist/images/branding/favicon

Uneven ESC temperatures

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Stefan Helborg, May 21, 2016.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

I now have several test flights monitored my esc temperatures, and motor 1 and 6 is about 7-9 degrees warmer than the other four motors. The two motors go together, and the other four are also followed along each other.

I have also tested with static payload, and also turned it 180 degrees. Same result. Are there any of you who are experiencing the same thing?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Those motors should be spinning in opposite directions, so that doesn't suggest a yaw bias where those two motors are having to work harder than the others.

On the other hand, if you suspend the ALTA by some cord attached to the center of the handle, if it were nose-heavy, then motors 1 and 6 would be working harder to keep the ALTA level. I'm making the inference that you're flying an ALTA 6, right?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Stefan Helborg

Hi

Yes I fly the ALTA 6.

Yes I am aware that if the weight is uneven, then it will obviously affect the motors.
    That's why, I have put weight on it which is equal on both sides. And to be completely secure and eliminate errors, I tried to turn the load 180 at a new flight.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Stefan:
    So when you suspend the ALTA 6 by a cord from the center of the handle, I infer that you found that it balances correctly with the booms level?

Andy.

5. Stefan Helborg

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. That's the sound of me thinking.

In which case, the question is: are the motors actually running hotter or are we seeing temperature sensor errors?

Do you happen to have access to a decent quality infrared thermometer that you could use after a flight of a few minutes and measure the temperatures of the base underneath the motors? That's where the ESC are located. That might give us a clue whether the error is real and the ESC's really are running hot, or somewhat imaginary in that the temperature sensors are over-reading.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Stefan Helborg

I will try that. They cool quickly once it has landed. However I remember, that I could feel the difference of temperature with my hand.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. Ok. Well, if you could feel that they were hot, that eliminates sensor errors.

Unfortunately, that only leaves the fact that there is an issue -- but what I don't know (perhaps other forum members might) is whether this temperature differential is of any consequence -- you might just want to open up a support ticket with FF by sending an email to support@freeflysystems.com and ask them. But do post again if you have an answer to the whether or not there an issue and what its resolution was, please!

Thanks
    Andy

9. Stefan Helborg

Thanks Andy, I'll do that :)

10. Guillaume MARION

Close to this case I got friend who have that, but only one motor is 9° higher than others and I would say that the flight time is short than mine witch don"t have any difference between motors.

11. Stefan Helborg

Hmm interesting...

12. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Was there any wind during this flight? If you are hovering and there is even the slightest amount of wind it will cause the motors to work a little harder.

Josh

13. Guillaume MARION

Hi Joch, I could say practical no wind and what ever the orientation of the drone, there was still the same high temp on motor 5...

14. Stefan Helborg

Same as Guillaume