/dist/images/branding/favicon

U.S. Air Force would like bids to build anti-sUAV "gun"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

See https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=7495ac616b40525dfbb5c9840a89a726

You have 30 days to do it after signing contract.

It has to transmit interference on 2.4Ghz, 5.8Ghz, and GPS and GLONASS frequencies.

It would appear that the government does not realize that you also have to figure out how to interfere with on-board magnetometers and accelerometers to disrupt the Inertial Measurement Unit just in case the pilot remembers how to fly the copter manually (or the flight controller is smart enough to revert to IMU control on GPS signal loss).

Oh, and the device has to have a trigger, and cannot use any software or firmware. (What??? What about microcode in a CPU?)

Oh, and it has to be "effective all while reducing negative effects on friendly assets."

I think I'll propose a shotgun or sniper rifle with attached transmitters. Or even a T-shirt cannon (see, e.g. http://www.tshirtgun.com/)

Andy.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure you could get down to the size requirements but I think they just described a neutron bomb.

Steve Maller likes this.
  3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nah. My neutron bomb runs Windows for the arming mechanism. Nothing can possibly go wro... oh no

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

9V battery, DirecTV dish coated in aluminum foil, frequency generator, some alligator clips, copper wire...
    I'm certain these would cost less then $45,000 each, including a shoebox full of spare parts.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Actually, all you need is a Marconi-style spark generator. It will splatter across all known frequencies with enough power to reach across the Atlantic.

Now, where could we get a high powered spark generator from? Hmm. Like ESC capacitors charging up from a LiPo, mebbe? :rolleyes:

Andy.

6. Steve Maller

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

"If you build it, they will come."

8. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

This extreme short time table means they already know what they want to purchase. I wonder how legal a 7 day RFP during the holiday is. My business partner used to be an AF acquisitions officer for the ISR SPO, he thinks there is shenanigans with the timing.
    It has to transmit interference on 2.4Ghz, 5.8Ghz, and GPS and GLONASS frequencies.

If its jamming both the 2.4 and 5.8 wont the pilot lose the ability to control it, unless they are using 433mHZ like Dragon Link. I think this system maybe targeting our commercial out of the box friends the Phantoms and Solo's.

So what they are looking for is passive jamming where the system is just making noise across the spectrum. Sounds like they are trying to make it Army proof, where you don't have to go into menus to set up parameters, they want a plug in the battery and work solution.

So the thing will have a low gain TX with nominal reach.

Probably be just as effective LOL![/quote]

9. Steve Maller

Actually, maybe the best way of detecting/tracking Phantoms and the like is with audio sensors. If you wanted to protect a place like the White House, acquiring an incoming UAV would be pretty simple. Then hitting it with a concentrated/focused EMP of some kind would probably stop it in its tracks. And all that could be pretty harmless, unlike utilizing something like a Stinger or other weaponry ("Oops, Mrs. Smith, sorry about that large hole in the White House-facing wall of your school classroom.")