/dist/images/branding/favicon

two malfunctioning radians

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Ville Hyvönen - Helicam, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Colin, the max voltage for FF servos is 6V, not 5V. Ben's issue is unrelated to FF servos, he had and internal IMU error with the Radian.

Tabb

2. Colin

Colin Member

Tabb, As you have read throughout the forum members are experiencing issues with radian and servos. You will also be aware that Ben and I had the same guy make the a/c for us. Ryan from Heliguy, A professional. And we paid professional money for this service quite a few ££££££. Now both our systems are performing the same. The exact same failures, the exact same replacement parts. We both have the same rig and gimbal to mount the same camera. Two identical machines.
    The unfortunate issue is that our dealer hasn't a clue and certainly will not replace any faulty units without full payment. I've already had three units replaced in four flights, Radians and servos. So there has to be a common factor in the units failing in such a manner.
    Now, I know I've read a thread somewhere within this forum, that you suggested no more than 5v, they can handle 6v, while the radian can take anything up to 12, even 30v for a very short time. So in trying to make a determined investigation on why the units fail the BEC output is the only thing left. Ours was reading 6.2v which is above the max voltage to the servos, as you have now confirmed that, thank you. I don't think I've ever said the max voltage to the servos is 5v. I believe I say recommended voltage to the servo is 5v. So if the max voltage is 6 and our BEC puts out 6.2 that shouldn't really effect the Radian/servos albeit is above max according to Heliguy. So my question then Tabb is whats causing our units to continually fail. If its not the BEC it must be faulty parts. If the parts are faulty then our dealer, under the current sale of goods act in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, can either offer a full refund or exchange the parts. Not charge more.
    Thankfully this forum exists as its the only means to addressing issues members are having. The help is certainly appreciated by us and I would suggest by every member. Without it, we'd be in the dark completely. Our voltage is now set at 5v so time will tell. In the meantime I'll send our latest faulty servo to FF for your post-mortum and opinion. Maybe there is an issue which your not aware of yet. Our issue as is Ben's relate to both radian IMU errors and failing servos for whatever undisclosed reason.

3. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Colin, in the post I have quoted here you said "up to 5V" this implies a 5V limit, I did not want misinformation floating around the forum.

4. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Colin, To my knowledge you have do not have any faulty FF product. Last I checked in you had everything working but had burned up some servos in the process? The servos typically only die with overvoltage, if I had to guess I would say at some point in your helicopters history the servos were supplied much higher then 6V.....likely 12v.

You and Ben are not having the same issue (from what Ben has told me) He has had his rig flying for months and one of his Radians had a problem with an IMU just recently. From the last time I checked in your Radian's were performing normally?? Is this not the case now? I am unable to keep up to be honest as you have had a lot of issues along the way that were related to setup and installation.

Thanks

Tabb

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Colin:
    I'm not sure we have a mechanism, beyond your posting above, to ask everyone to do that test. I suspect that those who see your posting will at the least ponder the question, and at the most, go measure the voltage to their servos.

For myself, I only run the Radians and servos at 5v as I've not yet really been persuaded that there is merit in feeding 6.2v to the servos.

I realize that there are many cases where, if some is good, more is better, but I'm unpersuaded this approach applies to voltage to servos.
    Just out of curiousity, have you found out why the dealer set things up to supply 6.2v to the servos?

Andy.

6. Colin

Colin Member

Tabb/Andy. Firstly we have never connected 12v to the servos. The 11.1 has always gone through the CC BEC, since we have taken ownership. Tabb I can understand the issue in keeping up, there's a wee bit in threads where I believe are most appropriate but the two systems are the same in every respect as Ben describes.
    At this very minute everything is working, powered at 5v. To get here we have replaced two radians and two servos as well as the CC BEC.
    Heliguy has told us the radians were faulty. The dealer has not yet offered an excuse why the BEC was set to 6.2v. His comments are somewhere in the forum though.
    My large 30% models with 5cell nicads don't even have 6.2v going to servos's. It will be interesting to see what Bens has been set to. Hopefully the voltage is the issue and we can all learn from it but I'll not know that until we fly again.
    Tabb as many are interested in mounting the Canon C range would a deciated thread be worth while. As you have already had great success with you're rig would it be possible to host some close up images/video and what problems encountered etc.

ps sorry if I implied that 5v was the max. I have since changed that.

7. Colin

Colin Member

Well forum members, today was the first time we had the SJ in the air from all the recent problems. Great news the system operated for 90% of the time. Everything was great apart from tilt. What happened during flight and using PAN & TILT, all of a sudden TILT stops operating for no apparent reason. Without warning all control to tilt is gone. Moving the stick no control. Turning the mode switch to off and back on has no effect. The only way to get tilt operating again is to land, disconnect / reconnect the battery and resume flight. Whilst its annoying, especially when the flight run is perfect, its still an issue. Any ideas would be great. Light are steady green/flashing amber on touch down.