/dist/images/branding/favicon

tuning the DJI A2

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by kjetil tønnesen, Feb 7, 2014.

1. kjetil tønnesen

Hello
    i have bulid me a x8 with u7 motors and i have mounted the dji a2 fc on it all this dji is new to me,i am i mk flyer:) ,so that pid setting i know very vel,
    But the dji a2 gain understanding i dont get it ,the x8 is flying ok but i want to finetune it ,so it not bonce so mutch in windy flight´s and so on
    is there some on that can tell me alittle how to finetune this thing,what to look for and what to aduse and so on
    thanks
    kjetil

2. Ed Windham

Ed Windham New Member

Start with the recommended gains and then raise by 10% until you get instability. Then back off. You can also set up a lever or knob to adjust while flying. If you do that limit the range of adjustment to +/-50. When you get it the way you want it, go into Assistant and write the settings then center your control or disable it. The Basic gains are how the craft responds to environment influences. The ATTI gains are how it reacts to stick input. Higher gains more responsive, lower gains less. Think of it like expo in your Tx.

3. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Also you should be aware there have been issues with the A2 with uncontrolled flyways and flips. You may be better off with Wookong M version 5.16

4. Ed Windham

Ed Windham New Member

Brian, not sure where you got that info. There have been very little problems since the latest firmware upgrade.

5. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

message boards on multirotorforums are still discussing issues after the latest firmware. I personally would not risk it with an expensive machine when the WKM 5.16 is proven stable.

6. Ed Windham

Ed Windham New Member

Bryan, the majority of the issues were fixed with the latest firmware upgrades. There are several users flying A2's with the S1000 and Zenmuse gimbals. So far they have had no issues. That being said, if you have a wonky flight I would not go up again until you determine the cause. There was one user that did just that and destroyed a S800, Zen 5D and his 5D camera. He admitted that he should not have flown again, knowing what he did, but did so anyway. DJI cannot prevent those issues. Only the user can. I have not seen any controller without issues. I have tried most of them. DJI is the most reliable in my opinion. As far as the WKM, I always flew mine on the latest firmware without issues, but as always, I am the exception. I guess it is my anal ways.

7. kjetil tønnesen

ok no i get thinking,do you say that the issues with flyaway and deadflips is fixed in the newest firmaware? i hope so?

8. Graydon Tranquilla

kjetil,
    Where Basic and Attitude tuning cannot correct MR wobble in wind there are two remaining reasons/possibilities:
    1) Motor arm momentum cannot be corrected quickly enough because of the motor's speed/torque limitations.
    2) The ESC firmware has not be upgraded for fastest possible response.

As an example, where the motor is heavy and on the end of a long motor arm and is bumped downward by the wind, the ability of the motor/prop to correct this situation will depend on it's ability to change speed quickly enough. If torque is limited, so is the correction speed.

9. kjetil tønnesen

thanks alot graydon
    i use the tiger 80amp esc with my u7 motor and a2
    Are we talking about the timing mode off the esc?
    i think i have it on middle,what is your tips

and thanks again

10. Graydon Tranquilla

Without a closer examination of your MR AUW etc, it would appear, with 80 amp escs that your motors are not starved for torque and in theory should be able to change speed very quickly. Keep in mind that the overall MR weight needs to centered as close to the hub as possible.

Wish I could track it down again to show you.... but I recently saw a Youtube before and after video of a motor/esc combo that clearly demonstrates wobble before and none after SimonK programming. The bench setup was a simple hinged motor arm in a vice. It would pitch to the upper hinge limit and immediately fall down again and again. When configured with SimonK the motor are remained almost motionless at midpoint.

11. Jon Tamkin

Jon Tamkin New Member

I would really like to know the same....s-1000 a2 gh3 zenmuse

12. Graydon Tranquilla

There is a lot of activity on the new DJI -A2 on Multirotor forums. I noticed some threads on the A2 used for coax configs as well. One user name that comes to mind is Ferdinand.

13. kjetil tønnesen

ok know i get closer to the perfeck a2

i went into the advance gain meny and aduse the i gain and v dempening and vertical.

i decreast all

14. kjetil tønnesen

no not get clode to perfeck
    i cant get rid off the vibrations to the camera??
    i have not lower the gains to 100-100-100 and aslo tryied 90 -90-90, but the vidrations are still going on
    i have also cut my booms to x out the flex from booms,so no flex from booms no,but when i set gains to 120 it is to mutch,so lower to 100-100-100 the oscillation dissapeard ,but still vibrat on the gimble??
    anyone

15. Graydon Tranquilla

16. kjetil tønnesen

ok i am still not happy how my x8 and a2 is flying?
    now i have the movi m5 and black magic pocket cameraand there is no vibration in picture,but the x8 is not smooth when flying ,so my gimble is moving abit when flying ,so the m5 is wagging,and you can see it on the picture
    my gains are now 175-175-175 atti 100-100-100.
    i have tryed them all so i think i have to go into the advance meny to get it smoother,
    i also recon that my x8 is very slow when i give full throttle.
    someone have some tips here!! i have a lot off jobbs coming up now so i have to solve this problem:-( fast).

17. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Hi Kjetil, It sounds like you have the correct components that should work well together. Sometimes we can make things more complicated than they need to be. I know, because I've done it myself. There should be no reason to go into the advance A2 menu to get buttery-smooth flight out of the A2. As you mentioned, all this is new to you, so Im just trying to save you time wasted going down paths that might not solve your problem.
    If it's windy, your copter and gimbal will move, plain and simple. So I ask what experience do you have to judge your copter's performance against another in the same wind conditions? Do you know that the wobbles you are experiencing are indeed abnormal? Maybe you are expecting too much from the machine. Maybe it is what it is.

18. kjetil tønnesen

my mk okto is flying mutch more smoother in wind conditons,so i expect that the A2 also shoud do so ,but maybe i have wrong??maybe the dji is not better then this ,it does happens in no wind coditions too that i dont understand?
    i have beeen flying mk for year with better result than the dji a2 can make,but i want to try this dji system for i like the feeling of it,so i think i can get my x8 to fly better in no windy conditions and windy conditions.
    thanks

19. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

maybe you should post a video of what it is doing so we can see.

20. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I have the A2 on my octo with tiger U5 motors 6S and I use a knob to tune. Put it up in the air and set one axis to a knob and slowly turn it up until high freq vibes start. I back it down until they stop, land, and drop it down 10 more. I then switch the axis and do the same for the other two. After that I put it up and bang the sticks around to includ fast flight and fast stops looking for vibrations. If there are some I put the axis back on a knob and fine tune it by dropping, to lowering and do the same fast movements. Takes about 1-2 hours to get it perfectly tuned this way but works really good.