/dist/images/branding/favicon

Trouble shooting tilt jog

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andy Post, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Hey Thrill seekers,
    I've seen this happen in the field and always assumed it was a temporary loss of signal, or interference or some other distance related thing. But today, I'm in my shop, just practicing fly overs. I have my M5 mounted to my CineSlider which is mounted to the ceiling, and I'm about 6' away from it.

I notice that from time to time (make that regularly) I get a little "Bump" in the image. Again, I assumed it was some temporary drop out. So I put a GoPro on my bench to watch the camera overhead and also recorded what the camera sees and bigger than anything, my camera...excuse me....my M5 will from time to time, just tilt down a bit, seemingly of its own accord.

I've checked and rechecked for binding cables or something else that might cause the issue but have found nothing. I'm thinking I'll try using the skinny FFly cables to hardwire camera to monitor somehow to bypass the Connex TX to see if that's causing some interference.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Other Andy:
    Yeah, if you do get a signal loss, I've noticed that the MōVI will have a minor spasm. Are you using the MōVI Controller or a Spektrum to control it?

What happens if you turn off the Connex and the camera and re-trace them same path along the Cineslider? Do you still see spasms?

Andy

3. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Hey #1 Andy,
    Using spektrum. Ill figure out how to rig some gentle slop in a hardwire n try it w/out connex. Ive got the antenna all separated as much as i think i can. Connex on roll arm ends (even using their little extensions) and movi at bottom of rear leg.

Glitch doesnt happen in same spot and onboard gopro shows its the tilt not the slider.

Will also try using hot lights instead of fluorescents in case shop lights are doing it.

Also vot backup movi today.....so could try that.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'd do whatever you can to provide a "radio quiet environment" -- if that fixes it, then switch back on one thing at a time.
    Florescent lights can be a real problem -- not so much the tube but the ballast unit in them.

Let me know what you find out -- it's intriguing to understand what's causing the interference (if that is, indeed, what it is).

Andy.

5. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Just finished wiring up for a fresh look. My money was on the Connex. I've been having weird connection issues with that as well. Sometimes the TX/RX just don't seem to want to connect after a battery change at the gimbal end. So I assumed that the Connex was over shouting the Movi as it looked for a good channel. So....

First Try:
    Hardwire the video feed, bypassing the Connex (and leaving it off of course)
    First Result:
    • There WAS interference from one of the Fluorescent lights. But I moved the battery forward where one is mounted on the rear leg for Camera/Shogun/Connex so that it didn't hit the light on the way by.
    • Tilt Issue wise...no difference. Still get the glitches.
    Two things occurred to me.
    • There aren't any fluorescent lights in the field, so they probably aren't the issue
    • The move I'm practicing is a straight down 180 Passover on a moving car. It's a real challenge for me to keep the arc of the car smooth and in frame. BUT.....I've got the minimum tilt angle set at -90. I've had this issue when I'd swear I'm no where near that angle. BUT when added to the angle of attack of the UAV, it might just be. So...
    Second Try :
    Increase Minimum Tilt angle to -120
    Second Result:
    No Bumps

Then I tried putting the MinTilt angle back to -90 and the bumps returned, not surprisingly, when I was looking more or less straight down.

Then I put it back to -120 AND added the connex back to the stream. No bumps.

So it looks like all this angst was a self inflicted setup issue.

In the words of Homer Simpson...."Du-OH!"

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice work, Other Andy!

Andy.