/dist/images/branding/favicon

Travel case worth it?

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Matthew Macomber, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Movi XL to run on my custom camera crane truck. Is the travel case worth it at $1500? Any other good options?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Most of the XL's I've worked with have that case. It's huge! It's good and secure in the back of a trailer with a crane, if that's what you're doing, but the main complaint I have is that the gimbal can only go in one specific way, and it can be a bit of a puzzle that takes a little more time to put it away. You have to put the cage in a certain orientation and release a lot of the balance points to move the carbon fiber in just right. You'll probably get used to that pretty quickly though.

Also, I saw one Travel case recently where a couple of the latches had broken off and one of the wheels locks didn't work, but that may be a factor of how well it was cared for.

For my Movi Pro (which is a much smaller beast, and doesn't ride in a work truck all the time) I made a coffin out of a large rolling tool box. I wonder if the large Husky box would fit an XL? I've even thought to have a custom wooden or plastic case made for it, but it might not fit into my SUV.

That said, all the XL owners I've worked with have this ginormous case, and they don't seem to complain too much about it. It's a good protector for an investment like the XL.