/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tomahawk & Movi controller

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Nicholas A Donnelly, May 29, 2015.

1. Nicholas A Donnelly

Nicholas A Donnelly New Member

Seems like the tomahawk is overpowering/interfering w/ my MC signal. Am I crazy? I have them as far away from each other as possible but still lose connection w/ the gimbal at marginal distances. Perhaps a specific antenna combo could help the two signals get along better?

2. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I have two tomahawks, two Movi's, and a Movi Controller.

Never had an interference problem between them.

Tomahawk is 5G...

Have you tried different channels, and locations. Could be outside interference.

3. Nicholas A Donnelly

Nicholas A Donnelly New Member

I believe the Movi controller is also 5Ghz, hence my suspicions... But anyhow, are you saying that you've never lost connection w/ your movi while flying? Spec is 2000ish ft. but I routinely drop out around 300-400'. Are you using stock or upgraded antennas? Care to share a photo of how you have things arranged on your rig?
    Thx-

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you look at the last page of the MōVI Controller manual you'll see references to XBEE. If the manual is true (and I've nothing to say it's not), then XBEE does not operate in the 5.8 Ghz band if the information below is also true:
    900 vs 2.4 - Most of the Xbee modules operate at 2.4GHz, but there are a few that operate at 900MHz. Basically 900MHz can go a lot farther with a high gain antenna (up to 15miles for the Pro modules and a high gain antenna). Also the lower the frequency the greater penetration the signal has. 900MHz is also not allowed in many countries (although there are 868MHz versions available from Digi that are allowed in many other countries). You can NOT mix and match these on the same network.​

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBee

Andy.

5. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Never lost the controller link, but I am not sending the Movi a long way off.
    (We have only flown it a few times, mainly we are on the ground).

(except once, in a busy city block, where there was interference).

Have a look at my blog for set up pictures and BTS videos. All pretty standard.