/dist/images/branding/favicon

Timelapse Mode observations and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Steve Huether, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

So I had a time-lapse running with the Movi + iPhone 6s in my front yard. Both devices started with full battery. Didn't really think about it before, but I probably should have connected one or both to an external battery. I set a time-lapse of just over 60 mins total. Came out to check it 58 mins later to the Movi just finishing the motion but the phone battery had died. Plugged it in and hoped it might have saved the video before it died but no luck. So now I'm trying to decide what would be the best in the future. Obviously I'll keep my external battery handy and use it on longer sequences. The Movi was hadn't used more than 15% battery so I also plan to get a USB C to Lightning cable so I can charge the phone off the Movi in situations like this.

Thoughts:

1 An option to dim screen once motion starts on longer durations, say more than a couple mins would be handy. Maybe some other battery saving methods for longer time-lapses, fully turn off screen? I'm not sure iOS allows that though...

2 Ability to detect when iPhone battery gets below a certain threshold, say 3-5%, and stop the time-lapse and autosave the file?

3 This might be a long shot but would be really handy for the end user experience, estimate based on current battery level if the selected duration is likely to need external power and notify user before start?

4 Further to 2, a way to send a notification/sms/iMessage to another device/user to say battery is nearly depleted. Notifications to another device would also be handy to say Motion Complete when doing unattended stuff like Time-lapses.

For me, the most important one is #2 so I don't lose a file. Even a partial one is better than losing the whole thing. I think this would be good in all modes, if recoding is in progress have a way to fail gracefully so in progress video isn't lost. I know thats not a simple thing to do from the programming side.

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Some good ideas there. I've passed them on to the developers.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Steve Huether likes this.
  3. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

Might try getting your battery replaced, or see if something was running in the background. I just did a 30 minute time lapse and it only took my iPhone X down to 89%.

I do like your suggestions and hope they employ them in future updates.

4. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Yea this one is known to be not great. Its already got a smashed screen and is a few years old. I keep it as a spare mostly for testing. My X was in use doing other things so I figured I'd give it a try with the backup device. Note to self: ALWAYS PLUG IN THE BACKUP DEVICE lol

Kevin P Riley likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve: I'm a strict adherent to what, at least in the computer software biz, is called Ginsberg's Theorem -- which states "things work better when they are plugged in." :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Daniel Dye likes this.
  6. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Haha I completely agree! Especially in networking...

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. More gap than Cat 6 cable can be a show-stopper.

8. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Steve Huether likes this.