/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Motor Stiff When Off

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Charles Bergquist, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Charles Bergquist

Running into lots of tension on the tilt motor when it's off, can't balance the M15. First time I've run into this so I was thinking it was come cable tension, can't seem to find the source. Anyone run into this?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Charles:
    Don't think anyone has raised this issue before. If there's nothing external (cables, etc) causing this, you may need to open up a support ticket at support@freeflysystems.com.

I presume you get this same resistance on the tilt axis with no camera mounted?

Andy.

3. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Is the bearing properly seated on the other side (opposite of the motor)?

Jeff

4. Charles Bergquist

Here's a link to the issue, just contacted support about it. I don't remember it being like this when I got it and the M10 was definitely not like this. Can't find anything hanging it up, I'm really hoping it's something stupid that I'm just not seeing. All cables and wires seem to be fine. I can still put a camera on it and run it, but it does "give up" and quit much easier than normal.

pass : movi

As always, thanks for the info.

@Jeff not sure specifically where that is, but everything looks fine. It feels like it's on the motor side.

5. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Open the middle and top clamps - it could happen that one side is slightly higher than the other, which would cause that kind of tension. Hope this helps!

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Charles, remove the side bars of the tilt cage and check the bearing and motors independently if they have tension or not.

7. Charles Bergquist

Thanks for everyone's input, I think I figured out what the issue was. I moved the extended roll bars on the M15 back because they're quite longer on the M15 than the M10 and my camera has stayed the same, Epic with AKS. So what I found happened is when that happened the tube turned ever so slightly which, in turn put resistance on the middle clamps of the cage. I removed the top part of the cage, repositioned everything and it's now rotating smoothly. My fault, but it's a good heads up if anyone shortens the extended tubes, make sure they're aligned before tightening them back down, or make sure the cage rotates smoothly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it worked out!

Tim Sessler and Bryan Edmonds like this.
  8. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Got boned by this on set - after hour earlier telling the DP that my lens change time was 1-2 minutes

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, if you can the bearings off axis or the cage out of true, I could see how this could happen.
    Thanks for posting your findings, though.

Andy.