/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Jitters

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Kristian C, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I'm currently in the process of setting up my 360 gimbal with radians. During the operation of the tilt, I noticed that it doesn't appear to move smoothly up and down. The servo sounds like it's grinding on something and there is a small amount of jitter that I can see. I haven't recorded any footage yet, as I was balancing the gimbal, and setting things up before taking it up. Hopefully the video I included can help shed some light to help you help me. Most likely, I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not too sure what.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kristian if you have already balanced the camera following Tabb's videos with the belts off then it might be that the servo has some wear on the internal gears. But honestly it looks pretty good. Might just be this video but I'm not seeing any jitter as it is tilting.

3. Adam Lokman

Adam Lokman New Member

Hi Kristian,

I had the same problem especially when using my heavy 16-35mm Canon lens. Even after perfect balance I was still getting the jitter and grinding noise from the servo. Took everything apart and reassembled many times over but still no luck. I figured it had to be the servo so I swapped it with my pan servo and guess what?? Problem was still there!! Finally tried reducing my tilt gains to below 100 and the problem went away. My tilt gains are now at 85 and I have no more jitter on tilt moves. I saw that almost everyone has their tilt gains above 100 so never thought of going below that but it did fix the problem.

Cheers. :)

4. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Gary, I've def watched Tabb's video, and did balance it without the belts on. The servo is literally brand new, and hasn't even been put to any use other than testing and balancing. I hope I won't need a new one. Hopefully, you're right about there being no problem. I'll take a quick test video of the tilt with the camera on soon.

Adam, I really appreciate the advice on turning down the gain. Hopefully you're right about that being the problem, vs me needing to get a new servo so soon. I'll give it a shot in a few hours.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If the reducing the gain solves the problem, I think you might be seeing incipient oscillation -- but oscillation that the mass of the camera dampens out.

Please let us know if reducing the gain solves the problem.

Andy.

6. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I've turned the gain to 85 and there are no jitters during flight testing of the tilt. However, there IS bad shaking during the pan rotation. I notice that it happens when the CS8 is in motion and not at a hover. I have set my gain at 50, have gone down to 30, all with no luck. Hopefully you can help give me ideas on whats going on. The shaking is towards the end of the video.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kristian I would try it in flight. In a static test hanging like that I can see that the power deck is not staying stable. That could be inducing the behavior you are seeing. Try holding one of the arms to it doesn't wobble or simply give it a try in the air.

8. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Good morning Gary. I have actually tried it in flight and the exact same thing happened. I don't a video showing it, but I have a video from the cameras POV. Did some rebalancing of the camera last night. Going to see if that helped. Any other suggestions?

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Not from me. Maybe others can take a look at the video and make suggestions.

10. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

No problem. I'll probably start a new thread on it. Thanks for your help and suggestions Gary!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

There are two issues:

1. In Dangle Mode (suspending the copter), there is no gyroscropic force from having the motors running and props spinning, so the dynamics of the system are different than from in flight.

2. The vibration isolators and servo belt add an elastic component to the dynamics of the system, so high speed pans get a fair amount of mass in motion and so you will see resonance.

One thing you might want to do is use the transmitter's Dual Rate control and/or the Radian's slew rate controls to slow the rate at which the gimbal pans. It's very hard to eliminate all resonance as the gimbal, by it's nature, is the mass of a pendulum hanging from a pivot point so you will get that damped oscillation when it starts and stops moving.

Andy.