/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tilt Control Stick Must Be Centered When Mode Switch Is Enabled

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Josh Lambeth, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

We realized yesterday that if you do not have your tilt control stick centered when you flip the mode switch you will not be able to control the tilt... anyone else notice this?

Also I still can't get really smooth video from my Radians... I have noticed that if I turn off the radians the video is nice and smooth without any "Bouncing" but obviously it's not staying level. As soon as the system is initialized the bounce shows up and I can't seem to get it right. I have used gain settings from 80%-200% and they pretty much all look the same minus the fact that there is more jittering when in the higher gain ranges. How many of you have hard mounted your gimbals to the copter without the isolators? Im about to try that and see how it works...

Josh

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Josh
    First, my tilt is on a spring-loaded joystick so it is centered normally and have not noticed that issue.

Could you post a video segment of your "bounce"? - Are you meaning tilt axis bounce? My tilt gain is 200 with no issues.
    I am not getting what I would call bounce, just some other small roll jitter and yaw wobble mostly when descending.

Joe

3. Josh Lambeth

Joe,
    Here is a quick video from yesterday. You can see the little jitter/bounce in the footage then when the mode switch is flipped it smooths out. I am running some stronger O-Rings that Tabb sent me to try out. Gains are 130R/120T/85P.

Josh

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The video goes black at 0:29, Josh even though to total run time shows as 2:44 -- should there be video beyond 0:29?

Also, did you see Joe's mod to the vibration isolators of restricting them with a cable tie?
    It's message #12 on this thread.

Andy.

5. Josh Lambeth

No its over at 29 seconds. Not sure why it's 2:44. Must have had a wrong end point in editing. I did see that. Was going to try that tonight first and see how it does. Just getting frustrated and really curious how others get such smooth video with the same setup as others who can't? Weird..

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've certainly seen the problem you're describing when the C8 is descending vertically into it's own "dirty" air. It wobbles pretty badly and the gimbal and the CX760 cannot take it all out.

Is this the problem you're seeing?

Andy.

7. Pavlos Antoniou

THe video is not good..! Are you sure from where is the problem?? Gimbal? radian? dampers , copter??

8. Josh Lambeth

No it does it at all times when the system is in stabilized mode. As soon as its disabled as you can see in the video, the jitter is gone. My guess is there is something going on between the Radians and the isolators thats causing the odd movements...

Josh

9. Pavlos Antoniou

hmmm on the video when you go to off the cam goes up and you cannot undestand...!

You have 5d on?>? you made me Anxious about my maiden.. :( :( with my picloc and PS1 i had better footages :( :(

10. Josh Lambeth

We always look up before landing so we don't break a lens in the event of a hard landing. As soon as its off you can see in the footage by watching the booms that there is no longer any jitter.

Josh

11. Pavlos Antoniou

Do you know how many kg is your Gimbal RTS... (ready to Shoot ) :) :)

12. Josh Lambeth

I don't remember off the top of my head. I'm flying a 5DMKII wwith 20mm lens. QC1200mAh battery and mondo 500mw video downlink.

13. Pavlos Antoniou

you are 3kg to 3.3kg..! hmmm as mine with 550...!
    But i have put 2200 lipo and 300gr steel to balance it.!

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Josh.. same issues here.. super smooth without the radians.. finally got it down to rotational being the only axis jittery with radians on

15. Josh Lambeth

What did you do on yours and what are you gains?

Josh

16. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ha.. Im not sure.. but like you ive tried everything. I had a tilt problem but only in tilt. I took out 2 middle O rings of the standard size, lengthened the vertical boom to 2.5cm longer to get more clearance from booms in the shot, re-balanced everything to exact.. and i mean exact, and moved my gains to around 70 on all. Test flew and now I have roll motion but not tilt motion anymore. WTF? I was able to get the tilt gain up to 130 with no change.. tilt is perfect. This Radian biz is a total mind game. I cant figure out how I could go from jiggly tilt to jiggly roll. And same deal as you... super smooth without Radians. Im thinking turn my problem roll gain down to 10 and see if the jitters are still there.

17. Josh Lambeth

OK so I made a similar modification to what Joe did. Here is a comparison video. Wish it wasn't so dark but Ill be flying more tomorrow so more testing/tweaking/ect. There is a def. improvement though!

Josh

18. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Josh
    The follow up videos YouTube offers after playing yours are... Interesting. ;-)

Videos and flying are looking good!

(Have you logged the appropriate number of nighttime touch and go's ?)

Joe

19. Josh Lambeth

HAHAHA Oh man... didn't even think about that... I promise non of those are mine or me. :D

Thanks! I am hoping to get the gains dialed in tomorrow. And yes.. plenty of night flights under my belt... I don't like them. ;)

Josh

20. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member